Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Won't start, no click

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Won't start, no click

95 Cherokee 4.0L 6cyl

Finished replacing the power steering pump, drove out of the garage and into a parking space 20 feet away, and five minutes later it decided it doesn't want to start.

Haven't had any sort of problems starting before, including right before it decided to die.

Thought maybe the battery died, but wouldn't jump and everything inside turns on just fine...
Old 11-06-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no click means no solenoid engaging.
Means bad battery or connection (lights may still go on with a so-so connection)
or, solenoid itself bad. You can jump the two terminals of the solenoid to effectivey bypass the solenoid. Since it way down under, temporary wire-craft for the jumper is up to you
Old 11-06-2014, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Hit the starter with a hammer. And I'm being serious, the solenoid could have jammed. And do what Para said as well if that doesn't work.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1976Mustang
Hit the starter with a hammer. And I'm being serious, the solenoid could have jammed. And do what Para said as well if that doesn't work.
This is no joke. back in the day I worked at a shop and we specialized on older VW's. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this has literally worked at least a dozen times.

When you're troubleshooting, remember the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). Always start from with the easiest, and then start testing for voltage.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:02 PM

Tested the battery and connections, nothing wrong there.
One of my friends had previously tried the hammer solution, but that didn't work. I took the starter and solenoid and had it tested at a shop and they both engaged and had no problem.
Replaced all of the fuses...
Still does the same thing. Lights and everything, no click and no start.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:08 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5L

I had this happen to me once and it turned out to be the Crank Position Sensor. I popped a new one in and it fired right up.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:11 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

Have you cleaned the posts on the battery? Mines been doing this lately, lights turn on, sometimes get a click but won't start until I open the hood and tap on the battery posts to break up the connection/corrosion to get a better connection. Then starts no problem. Anyways just a suggestion.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:35 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by salinity
I had this happen to me once and it turned out to be the Crank Position Sensor. I popped a new one in and it fired right up.
Actually - ignore what I said - it'll actually crank but not fire up if it's a failed CPS. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:16 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6

Is it an automatic? Try starting it in neutral. It could be a bad neutral safety switch, mine had a problem like that and it was my neutral safety switch acting up
Old 12-05-2014, 07:23 PM

Default Weird Start Up Issue

Typically, it's the CPS. I carry an extra in the glove compartment.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:41 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Early on I thought rapping the starter with a hammer was a good idea. We always did it in the old days.
The starter on mine has permanent magnets glued inside the motor casing, and not the field winding like older starters.
Not a good idea to smack it too hard, and take a chance on knocking the magnets loose....
Old 12-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Had a starting issue like this.when i put the key to start position, i just heard a click and engine did not start. It was the starter connections, wire connection bolts were loose.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

OP, chances are you drove out the garage and drove into a spot and slammed it into park and shut the jeep off. One poster already mentioned it. Did you cycle the gears And then good shifter in park and try to start. Keep it simple. Easiest test first. And dukie has a great writeup for no start no crank issues like this. Go to the stickies and read it and test your girl out and noggin poke around
Old 12-06-2014, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Turbo Supra
Typically, it's the CPS. I carry an extra in the glove compartment.

No. A bad CPS will prevent STARTING, but will not prevent the engine from turning over.

95Cherokee, you said you tested the connections. How? If there is corrosion at a connection, you can measure voltage with a meter, but not be able to carry enough current to do anything useful. I suggest you carefully clean ALL your battery cable connections, both ends, AND the engine block ground. Also check to see if there is corrosion in the cable itself.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:25 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Starter

I had a similar issue, all checked out, tried taking live to thesolenoid, still no click, bought a new solenoid, no click. It turns out thatmany of the recent starter motors are wired different from what I'm used to,the solenoid is wired so that it gets its continuity through the carbon brushesin the motor, so if your brushes are toast you get no click, new brush pack andas good as new, worth a look inside the motor.

Quick Reply: Won't start, no click