Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wont start Help!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wont start Help!

I have a 1988 Cherokee with a 4.0L inline 6 cyl. and it wont start. When I first checked it it had no spark. I checked the ignition cap and rotor and since they looked like burned I changed them also changed the cables and spark plugs, but still no spark then replaced the crank sensor since if it doesn't work could cause that symptom, but still no spark. Then a read something about the computer that might be damaged. I cheched the PCM and found the big diode in the middle of the board that was split broken in half. I bought a new one and install it. Now it has spark yyyeeaaahhh!!!!!
But it still doesn't start. I pour some carburator fluid down the intake and it runs until I stop pouring the fluid. I cheched the pressure in the fitting that it has on the fuel rail and there wasn't much of it. I checked the fuel pump and its working, but my fuel filter was obstructed so I changed it. Now it has a pretty good squirt on the fitting with great pressure, but it seams that my injectors aren't pulsing.
What sould I check now? I realy don't know if the PCM has another problem inside because at least visible it didn't appear to have anything else burned. I even bought a book, but it doesn't give me much of information on the electric part. It doesn't identify which of the four relays is the fuel's pump relay. Any help would be much appreciated. I have already working on it for a week and still haven't been able to start it.

Thanks