Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Won't start.. always

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Won't start.. always

My 98 XJ had slowly became a little sluggish to crank, sometimes it wouldn't turn over at all and it would make the typical grinding noise, until one day when it was really hot outside it decided to not crank at all. We hooked cables up to it and it started right up. It sat for a few days, I went out to start it and while slow, it started up without a jump. I assumed it was the battery, I changed it out and for about 5 cranks it was fine so I thought it was all good. I went out to start it up this afternoon and it sounded as if the battery was dying even though the voltage gauge was at a normal level. I turned my radio off after trying 3 times and it started right up, no problem. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Back story.. I had recently been having an issue where my radio would cut on and off.. also, I had changed my oil the weekend before, 10W-30 Royal Purple Synthetic.

Last edited by powersftw; 06-27-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I would check all connections at the battery. and clean them up, Make sure all contacts are good. Check the starter contacts as well.. Check and clean all the grounds.. Could be as simple as a bad connection somewhere maybe corroded or a bad wire.

Take a volt meter and see what the voltage is at the battery with the engine off, should have 12+.

Then start the engine and see what Volts your alt is putting out...

Ant....
Old 06-27-2014, 06:43 PM

Thanks Ant. I don't have a volt meter but I can go out and pick one up. I don't know if you saw my edit before you posted but I was having an issue where I would try to crank it and it wouldn't start just turn over, and if I didn't wait a second before starting again the starter would grind.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If you intend on trying to fix ur jeep urself I do suggest you pick up a multi meter they are not expensive and it is a very good tool to have for trouble shooting electrical issues...

As for the grinding of the starter check and make sure starter is tight maybe it has come loose.. When you check the connections under there make sure everything is tight... Just don't want to see ya buy parts you don't really need.. Checking all connections a make sure things are tight are free...

Ant...
Old 06-28-2014, 09:56 AM

thanks to the rain it's making going out and working on the Jeep difficult but I did notice today that the starter is covered in oil and grime, and that the alternator must have been replaced right before I bought it because it's clearly brand new.