Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wobble

Old 08-29-2008, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Wobble

so put the new lift on last weekend. knew i had this wobble and now i need to figure out what it is. its not an alignment, done that. it is around the speeds of 35-45 mph. any hints or things to consider? I didnt put the new steering stabalizer in yet..
Old 08-29-2008, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JakeWI
so put the new lift on last weekend. knew i had this wobble and now i need to figure out what it is. its not an alignment, done that. it is around the speeds of 35-45 mph. any hints or things to consider? I didnt put the new steering stabalizer in yet..
balance the tires? trackbar changed or modified? get under the front end and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch each joint for play.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Short Bus Motorsports

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Mine was a bad tire balance and a castor issue. Had to add castor even though I had an anlingment done, had to adjust more castor into it.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to wonderful world of Death Wobble....let the fun begin!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Welcome to wonderful world of Death Wobble....let the fun begin!!!

I have heard about the "Death Wobble" Hear there is really no cure. Is that true???? Never experienced it before, heard it will grab the wheel right out of your hands at times.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Do you hear banjos?

It depends on how bad it is. The more slop you have in your steering and suspension, the worse it can be. I have had three Jeeps, and two of them have had it!! The first one was cured when I put a lift kit on it, and was never an issue again. This one has been a real PITA to get nailed down. It is controlable to a degree. You get into the habit of driving with two hands PDQ!! I can usually feel it coming on and can slow down a little and it will go away. Mine has gotten better, but not gone away yet. As I have replaced worn or damaged components it has gotten better. Now that someone finally figured out what is wrong, I can start getting the rest of the stuff replaced.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

wow. so last saturday after i finished the lift i got a wheel alignment. havent drove it to much because of work. noticed the problem. thought it was a ujoint. came on here to ask you guys. then went right outside and found out the jokers ( i would swear but ill keep it to myself) that did my alignment didnt put back in the coder pin on the trac bar and didnt tighten the jam nut. huge mess. that could have been really bad if that broke loose. so now tomorrow i have to go in there to yell at them because they were closed when i figured it out. but i thought i would update you guys.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:56 PM

That doesn't sound very good at all, but I guess I've had vehicles that did wierd stuff and just got used to it. Do all of them get it eventually, or is it luck of the draw??
Old 08-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

All the more evidence that you need to do your own work. Then if something is left undone or loose you can only blame yourself.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeWI
wow. so last saturday after i finished the lift i got a wheel alignment. havent drove it to much because of work. noticed the problem. thought it was a ujoint. came on here to ask you guys. then went right outside and found out the jokers ( i would swear but ill keep it to myself) that did my alignment didnt put back in the coder pin on the trac bar and didnt tighten the jam nut. huge mess. that could have been really bad if that broke loose. so now tomorrow i have to go in there to yell at them because they were closed when i figured it out. but i thought i would update you guys.
I had that happen to me once with my jks trackbar. The grease monkey left it loose and didn't even notice it on the test drive after the alignment. As soon as i backed out and turned i knew what it was and didn't even look under there. I went straight for that a$$ and made him tighten it. I shouldn't have though cuz he used a big clamping wrench and apparently slipped and scraped up the trackbar real good. That was pretty much the last time anyone touched my jeeps.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:40 AM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
All the more evidence that you need to do your own work. Then if something is left undone or loose you can only blame yourself.
True! There is nothing like saying " I did that!"
Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Originally Posted by FoxBody347
That doesn't sound very good at all, but I guess I've had vehicles that did wierd stuff and just got used to it. Do all of them get it eventually, or is it luck of the draw??
No, it is "usually" because of worn or damaged components. My XJ has a lot of miles, and I've been going back over stuff that others have, or have not done, so I didn't have anything to do with this stuff. I just get to fix it. HOORAAY!!
Old 08-30-2008, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

ok. so they redid the alignment and tightened everything down. that needed to be done. but not as im driving i am still getting that wobble at about 35-45 mph marks sometimes at different speeds but especially those. the two things i want to check now are the three bearing bolts and im starting to think if the wheel is out of balance, but i just got that done to and havent even put on 250 miles. any other suggestions or things i could think about?
Old 08-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Explain what your lift consisted of and was it all new components? Sounds like (after re-reading the posts) that it only started after the lift. If that is the case then we need to look at just the lift components and rule out the OEM stuff that stayed stock.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

well it was the complete RC kit directly from RC. Trac Bar, Sway bar links, coils, lower control arms, leafs, shocks... i replaced the front driver side u joint, front rotors and pads. I still want to check over the 3 bolts holding everything together by the wheel bearing from when i did the front u joint fix. i dont know. i just hope to figure it before anything terrible happens. i am going to double check/ re tighten everything after the miles i put on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wobble