Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wiring gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Wiring gremlins

First off I have a 1999 Cherokee Sport 4x4 4dr all stock.
Now, I recently purchased this rig and I have been going through it to fix any and all issues. Gotta make it reliable before modifying. Anyways, I have a serious wiring issue.

1. When I try to lock or unlock the doors from the driverside the rear wiper turns on. This also happens and a audible buzzing sound is heard at the pass switch when the pass switch is used.

2. The rear wiper turns on when I insert the cigarette lighter into the jack. There is an audible buzzing sound heard when this is done. I have tracked the buzzing sound to the relay. I have switched it out but it still does it.

Question is where should I start? What should I test and or replace. I am electronically inclined and I do possess various multimeters and test lights.

I have a feeling there is a short somewhere and I am curious if anyone out there may know where to start?

I have checked all fuses. Thank You.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:01 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, stock with gibson header & custom exhaust turned down before rear axle

Ive been dealing with a similar issue. Since you have switches doing things that they are not even remotely related to, bust out a volt meter & get comfortable. I would probably check wires at/behind the interior fuse block first, then work my way out from there. Look for all the basic stuff- burnt or broken wires, melted insulation etc, and repair accordingly. I started with all of this, and am having to work my way towards the rear of the car repairing various wires. The other option is to replace the harness, as I've seen suggested after searching various electrical issues on here for a couple of weeks.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

The bad thing is you will have to check out every wire harness that you are having problems with. Unfortunately there isn't going to be a quick fix unless you are lucky to find the problem on the first harness you check. I would hate to be in your position. All I can really offer is a good luck to you and hope you can find the shorts.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:21 AM

Default starting point

Well, after looking at the wiring schematics for some time yesterday, it looks like the kick panel fuse panel is the place to start. All of the issues to now include when I try locking the doors from driverside door switch, the rear wiper and now horn sounds off. All I can really do is laugh.

The kick panel fuse panel is where all of these lines come from. I must honestly say nothing has been a easy quick fix on this one. The P.O.'s must never have done any kind of maintenance to her, the plugs were almost non-existent, the rotor and cap were cooked, so on etc....

I guess it wasn't such a deal for the $1500.00 I paid for her. I still have the passion and I will not give up. She will be a reliable and capable Jeep when I am done with her.

Thanks for the input guys. Time will tell.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:24 AM

RTorrez1: I couldn't help but laugh almost bringing me to tears about your signature line. Great stuff. Sorry to hear about all of the bad luck you've had with your jeeps.
Thank you for your response.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:29 AM

Juan Schwartz: Hey let me know if you end up coming across something that might help, please. I will do the same. You are right everything goes back to the kick panel/ fuse panel, so I am starting there. Also, I have read a few threads, where some shorts were found inside the drivers door. It makes sense since, I noticed the driverside door speaker wire has been replaced.
Thanks for the response and the help.

Last edited by Survive2022; 06-20-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:13 AM

Engine: 4.0, stock with gibson header & custom exhaust turned down before rear axle

Good luck with it & post the results! If I had the time, I'd usurp the whole process and just yank everything from the fuse block back from the junkyard for my own, but I have to do a little at a time, usually at strange hours of the night lol.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:30 AM

I have a few junk yards close by so if you need something let me know.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:51 AM

wildew!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have found and fixed the wiring issue. I started in the kick panel fuse box and double checked all of the fuses. Everything was good. So, I moved on to disconnecting plugs one at a time and re-checking to see if the problems still existed. Going through that I was able to find that by removing one plug all of the issues went away.
It was the plug to the passenger side door. To be more specific, the plug went to the door switches. So, I decided to then take the passenger door apart and unplug the switch plugs. I then replugged in the plug that I had disconnected from the fuse panel and everything was still fine. By doing that, it meant all of the wiring was good up to the switch.
So, mounted up on the motorcycle and headed to the junk yard. They had three jeeps to go through. Got to the last one and man no, passenger switches. Then I noticed in the back seat there was the inside part of the door. I thought someone took it all. Nope they nicely removed it for me and left the switch I needed. Right on finally some good luck!
After getting back home and trying it out; I had to crack a beer in personal congratulations.
Stupid door switch gave all sorts of crazy things going on. Rear wiper, horn, buzzing sounds, the works. Like a dang poltergeist took root. Well, I exercised that hooker!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 AM

Good to hear that did it for you! can't believe that had anything to do with the issues on the back hatch, but that makes me want to replace mine & see if it helps with some of my own issues. Guess I'll be sneaking out for a while on sat to go strip some junkers.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:02 AM

I believe that through the switch it was shorted to ground. With that going back to the kick side panel, it routes all of the internals for the jeep. The one under the hood, routes engine bay stuff.
Try what I did, unplug a connector see if gremlins are still there. If they are then plug it back in and try another. Eventually you will narrow down which area it is in and make the whole job easier. I was going to go through everything with my test light and multimeter; then I decided screw that noise, that would take forever. So, that's when I decided the plug scenario.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:05 AM

Even after fixing the gremlins, the door locks are still not all working properly. I am thinking of running a new relay circuit to control the locks and give them more initial juice.
From what I have researched it is a common issue. And everyone is suggesting it. It will basically isolate the lock circuit and give the relays more direct power from the battery. Instead of bleeding over to another part of a circuit.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:48 AM

apparently the lock actuators are more and more commonly going out, since they are (at newest) 13 years old. That I am aware of, there is no replacement that doesnt come out of a junkyard or involve "making it work".

As for the window switch, not a bad idea to go the unplugging harnesses route, as they were all unhooked when I got it, because the doors had been removed recently. Never associated the two, so never thought about it again after I hooked the harnesses back up.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 PM

Sometimes it is the simple answers. You know the ones; you're left standing there hitting yourself with the palm of your hand against your forehead. Usually accompanied by colorful language.

I did fix all of the gremlins by replacing that one switch. Crazy! Now I have picked up a 8.25 I will be swapping that in shortly. I still have to get some rear springs, of course mine are jacked up. Right now I am running all stock, making sure everything is working good and then I will choose which lift to go with; as usual. Then lift, tires and rims, bumpers, etc.

Quick Reply: Wiring gremlins