Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

WIRING aftermarket lights to function only with aux power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default WIRING aftermarket lights to function only with aux power?

Hey all, I just wired some aftermarket driving lights to my XJ (not using existing wiring). Is there a circuit I can tap into that allows the lights to only run with auxilary power? I'm thinking about tapping into the aux power likne on the stereo but don't know enough about electrical work to know if it can damage anything. What about fuse or spare slot in the fuse box?Thoughts? I have my lights hooked up to a relay.

Thanks,
s

Last edited by smtippin; 11-23-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

if you already have them hooked through a relay, why not just run them straight to the battery?.

that's all i've done....
Old 11-23-2009, 04:40 PM

Year: 98' and 99'

x2-- ether that or hooking it up to a switch, but im sure thats what you want to avoid
Old 11-23-2009, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

straight to the batter bro, make sure you tie an inline fuse somewhere both for the switch and lights.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

The lights are fully functional and work great. Power comes straight off the battery with a fusable link. The wiring is fine the way it is, but I'd like to upgrade. The way it is wired now, I can turn the lights on with a switch on the dash at any time. I'd like to continue to use the switch, but have power to the switch ONLY when I have the vehicle keyed on (ACC or running). Bottom line, I don't want to be able to have these running lights on with the Jeep off.

Any ideas?

s
Old 11-23-2009, 06:34 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

There should be a spare place on your fusebox that will provide Aux power. If no-one chimes in with a specific spot it'll be time to go probing with a multimeter.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

you'd have to be sure you get the right one, if not, you'll blow your main circuit. i did that once hooking up my power seats. not good. so i just went straight to the battery with those too. lol.

in my kc instruction sheet, there was an option for hooking up to your headlight switch.... maybe check their site...
Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 PM

Year: 2001

if you went through a relay and a switch then the aux power is only a trigger for the relay. the main power for the lights will come straight from the battery but the power wire that triggers the relay just has to be switched by ignition. It won't blow anything if you wired it correctly. The wire will have very minimal draw as it will only activate your relay. It sounds like you used a live wire through your switch which in turn will go to your relay when you flip it to on... if you just change that wire to a switched fused wire than you would have it the way you want it.... Some people use a parking light power wire or either a low beam headlight or highbeam headlight power wire to trigger the relay but then you would only be able to turn on your aux driving lights if you have your parking or headlights on...
here is a basic wiring diagram:
http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_dri...hts_wiring.htm
Old 11-23-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO

Tap the hot wire running to your aux power outlet (cigarette lighter). When you pull it out, there are two wires running to it, one hot, one ground. You'll have to probe, but I *think* the hot one is pink or purple. Run a wire from the hot one to your switch, and from the switch to the relay.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:53 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MrJCRod
Some people use a parking light power wire or either a low beam headlight or highbeam headlight power wire to trigger the relay but then you would only be able to turn on your aux driving lights if you have your parking or headlights on...
Exactly and that is what I'm trying to avoid. I appreciate the other comments to. It is what I was thinking, but I'm not confdent enough with my electrical insight to go trial and error.

s
Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sean882
Tap the hot wire running to your aux power outlet (cigarette lighter). When you pull it out, there are two wires running to it, one hot, one ground. You'll have to probe, but I *think* the hot one is pink or purple. Run a wire from the hot one to your switch, and from the switch to the relay.
Good thinking. I never use the cigar lighter so I didn't think about whether it worked with the jeep powered off or not.

s
Old 11-24-2009, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by smtippin
Exactly and that is what I'm trying to avoid. I appreciate the other comments to. It is what I was thinking, but I'm not confdent enough with my electrical insight to go trial and error.

s
No one has asked how much power those lights pull. Chances are they are going to do nothing but blow fuses tapping into power off the fuse box. Everyone has said to go to the battery for the source and use a relay. Circuit breakers are cheap and preferable for this. Small relays and plugs for them are only around $20. You will have a much better set up if you do it this way. Besides, you might want to put some more on later and you will have that capability.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
No one has asked how much power those lights pull. Chances are they are going to do nothing but blow fuses tapping into power off the fuse box. Everyone has said to go to the battery for the source and use a relay. Circuit breakers are cheap and preferable for this. Small relays and plugs for them are only around $20. You will have a much better set up if you do it this way. Besides, you might want to put some more on later and you will have that capability.
In his original post, he already said he has them hooked up through a relay. From what I understand, he's just looking for what to use as the switch for the relay. Assuming the relay is hooked up with the +12V coming from the battery, the current that the lights pull won't be an issue. On the switch side of a relay, the current draw is minimal, only a few milliamps is required to switch on/off.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by smtippin
The lights are fully functional and work great. Power comes straight off the battery with a fusable link. The wiring is fine the way it is, but I'd like to upgrade. The way it is wired now, I can turn the lights on with a switch on the dash at any time. I'd like to continue to use the switch, but have power to the switch ONLY when I have the vehicle keyed on (ACC or running). Bottom line, I don't want to be able to have these running lights on with the Jeep off.

Any ideas?

s

you want it how ive got mine! instead of getting power from the battery to power the switch you get it from the fusae box under the dash. there is an auxilery power slot that only gets power when the engine is on. that way you dont leave them on and accidentally drain your battery. you'll have to go to an auto parts store and get some male connecters to be able to put the wire into the aux port of the fuse box. then the switch turns on the relay which goes straight to the battery. i didnt put an inline fuse on, i didnt put a fuse on at all.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: straight 6

look directly under your steering colum up towards the ignition switch theres going to be some thicker gauge wires going up into the ignition switch if you want it on the ACC position to your key its the purple wire if you want it to your RUN position its the blue wire

yellow= starter
red=constant 12v
purple=acc
blue=run position

make sure you fuse what ever wire your going to tap into!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: WIRING aftermarket lights to function only with aux power?