Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

wipers not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question wipers not working

my daughter has become the proud owner of a 96 Cherokee classic. I have become the proud mechanic of said jeep. I have tried a JY wiper switch and motor, it did not fix the problem. I checked the intermittent wiper module, I removed it and plugged the harness together, no good. I opened the module and it looked good, nothing burnt. I looked for the circuit breakers and there are none mounted in the fuse block under the dash. I checked the only 96 Cherokee in the JY, it also did not have any circuit breakers in it. Did the 96 use circuit breakers? I could not locate the relay box held in with 2 screws, so I could not check those. Just so you know, I took the lower part of the dash apart. I checked the fuse block under the hood, nothing listed for the wiper. All and I mean ALL of the fuses look good. The low beam headlamps also do not work. The t/s and hazards work just fine. It is probably in the wiring, but I'm not good with a voltmeter / ohm meter. I found a wiring diagram( it does show circuit breakers in the fuse block ) for the jeep wiper system, looks like it could also be a problem with the BCM. One other thing I did find what looks like diode, silver round tube about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch round, it is plugged in the wiring harness and it was VERY warm to the touch. What does it do? Is it related? PLEASE I need help!!! I have searched almost all of the listings related to this, I still need help.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Perhaps the switch in the steering column has gone bad?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

I would be stunned if they didn't have a circuit breaker on it for the wipers, then again the '96 was a bastard year. But even then I can't see them not putting a breaker on it.

This is off my '92, hopefull it's similar. It goes in that bottom white socket. Ignore the captions. Mine's missing because I had just broken it lol.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default face palm

Yeap, info can be your best friend or worst enemy. She failed to tell me, she found a little silver / grey thing on the floor. turns out she had kicked the fuse block and broke the circuit breaker off. It goes in the white plastic housing, horizontally at the bottom of the fuse block. FUN,FUN,FUN!!!!Thank you for the input.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by tonez39
Yeap, info can be your best friend or worst enemy. She failed to tell me, she found a little silver / grey thing on the floor. turns out she had kicked the fuse block and broke the circuit breaker off. It goes in the white plastic housing, horizontally at the bottom of the fuse block. FUN,FUN,FUN!!!!Thank you for the input.
Kids these days! Glad to hear it's resolved. Thanks for coming back to update the thread. Too many of these go unanswered and waste time for searchers.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

That is exactly how mine broke haha, din't realize what it was until 3 days later when I was stuck in a rain storm and the wipers wouldn't work.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

looks like it could also be a problem with the BCM.
To save you some tail-chasing in the future, the cavemen that engineered the XJ didn't use a BCM. They barely used relays, lol. Ask yourself "how would I wire up a car in 1960" and you'll be on the right track.

The headlights- you mentioned the low beams are out- are a shining example of this. Power goes to the headlight switch, then through the dimmer switch then off to the headlight bulbs. Not even a relay.
Check for power at the lamp sockets. If there's nothing there, check the dimmer switch. If your high beams work, the headlight switch is working.