Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wiper switch problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H0
Default Wiper switch problems

Background,

Recently my wipers stopped working on the 88. I've traced it down to a green wire and yellow wire pair that runs up into the actual lever/switch thingy (turn signals/wipers). after 23 years of use the yellow wire has worn through and is shorting out the circuit breaker.

So my first question is: has anyone taken apart the lever and successfully put it back together working and all? b/c i need to replace the wires and there isn't any room or slack to cut out the bad part. Plus i like the peace mind of running new unspliced wires.

Second question: if the above doesn't work, can i pull the column out my 93 parts cherokee and rewire that in? I do know that 88's are a different set from the 89+'s, but if worse comes to worse i have the whole set up from colum to wiper motor for the 93. Im assuming i'll have to rewire the ignition/wipers/ turns signals switch and all that fun stuff also if i were to go that route.

Both are tilt columns with intermittent wipers

thanks