Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Windshield Wipers and Washers stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Windshield Wipers and Washers stopped working

Hi, 1990 Cherokee 4.0 L.

A few weeks back when I picked up the jeep, the windshield wipers only worked on the high setting, and the washer fluid worked as well.

Now, the wipers wont work on any setting, and the washer isn't working either. I'm talking front wipers and washers by the way, the rear doesn't work either but I don't care as much about the rear.

I took the cowel off to inspect the wiper motor and the fluid connections. I took the fluid hoses off and tried to spray fluid just to see if the sprayer was clogged, but still no fluid.

Any idea where to start? I checked the circuit breaker on the fuse box and it seemed fine.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just bypassed the intermittent control module and it seems to be pretty burnt up. Now the wipers work on high speed again, and the fluid works again. So back to how it was in the first place.

My question is, does this indicate that the motor is at fault for the low speed not working? Or wiring to the motor perhaps?

Also, park doesn't work even with the intermittent module bypassed. I guess that's indicative of the wiper motor failing.

Last edited by nickypno; 05-18-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:04 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by nickypno
I just bypassed the intermittent control module and it seems to be pretty burnt up. Now the wipers work on high speed again, and the fluid works again. So back to how it was in the first place.

My question is, does this indicate that the motor is at fault for the low speed not working? Or wiring to the motor perhaps?

Also, park doesn't work even with the intermittent module bypassed. I guess that's indicative of the wiper motor failing.
Park is a function of the motor if that helps.