Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Windshield wipers don't park at bottom

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Windshield wipers don't park at bottom

I'm working on a 2000 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport. It isn't passing inspection because the windshield wipers don't park at the bottom. They just stop right where you turn them off.
All the other functions seem to work fine. Did a lot of research and I'm not sure where to look. Seems like it could be the wiper motor itself, or a relay or module under the dash.
And guidance on what to do or look at would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,079 Likes on 864 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0

Either the switch on the column, or the park switch inside the motor. There is no separate module under the dash on a 2000 You need to troubleshoot with a meter to figure out which. If the wipers are sitting up with the key-on, and the wiper motor plugged in you should have +12-volts on pins 1 (dark-blue) and ping 2 (darkgreen/yellow stripe). Pin 2 should not have voltage when the wipers are parked as that would make them keep running. If pin 2 has voltage, the wipers are not parking, and the stalk switch is off then I would say the stalk switch is bad.

Here's the schematic for the 2000. A bit complicated to follow, but if the wipers are up, the park switch in the motor sends power back to the switch. In the off position, that gets connected back to the slow speed sire to the motor. The intermittent function just blips the motor long enough to get the wipers up and the park circuit takes care of the rest of the stroke.

Old 04-22-2022, 02:03 PM

I just went to the junkyard to get some parts, and got a compatible switch. Tried it, and got the exact same problem.
Looks like the motor is the problem. I'll replace that, and report back whether it fixes it or not.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

With the wipers up, unplug the motor and user your meter to check for continuity between pins 1 and 2. If no connection, then the park switch isn't working. You might be able to open up the motor and clean it. Looks like a new motor runs about $45 on amazon.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by lawsoncl
With the wipers up, unplug the motor and user your meter to check for continuity between pins 1 and 2. If no connection, then the park switch isn't working. You might be able to open up the motor and clean it. Looks like a new motor runs about $45 on amazon.
Thanks for advice, I only just saw it.
I was able to get the motor out, and took out the 4 bolts holding covering the gear box. I had to use a razor to cut the rubber cover.

The inside looked like a mess. The one thing that grabbed my attention was the bent and corroded contacts. Looks like they're meant to slide
on the metal parts on the gear. I cleaned it up a little, sanded down the pins, bent them up a little, and reassembled. Plugged it in and tested, and it seemed to work. Took several hours to do all of it, but definitely better than the $300 repair estimate I was given.
Reassembled all the wipers, and it's working perfectly. Thanks for the advice all.

Last edited by petabyte; 04-22-2022 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Cool! Glad to see you got it fixed.