Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Windshield wiper control arm failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Windshield wiper control arm failure

Greetings all, glad to find a Cherokee forum.

My '91 (252K miles) has been a true and trusted friend for many a year but now I am finding some projects that are getting expensive. My current pain are my windshield wipers. The control arm for the drivers side will no longer stay attached to the motor assembly. It's pretty clear that the hard rubber stand-off no longer provides the friction needed to keep the control arm affixed. The dealership quoted me $340 for the new whole assembly (including motor) and $100 for a plug jumper to interface with my harness since the whole thing is a new version. That getting dang near $500. Last weekend I dug around a couple junk yards only to find that the rigs they had suffered the same wear related failures that I was experiencing.

I thought about trying to carefully drill the stand-off and inserting a cotter pin to keep the control arm on, or even to remove the stand-off completely and then weld on a bolt to act as the stand off with a nylon bushing to minimize wear.

Any opinions or thoughts on a decent fix for this?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Had the same thing happen to my Mercedes. The whole thing was on the way out anyway so I really didnt do a whole lot to fix it. I took it out, and tied it REALLY tight with string .... yeah as you can tell that didnt really last long. After that broke I just put lots of rain-x on it and drove without wipers for a while until I got the Jeep.