Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

windshield squirters arent working.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default windshield squirters arent working.....

The reservoir is full but I think a relay is bad or possibly not getting power is there an easy way to problem solve this?
Old 12-24-2011, 04:52 PM

Year: 99

Check the fuse. If thats good its probably your sprayer pump. They are inside the driver side fender well. Pepboys/autozone has them. I just replaced both pumps and the fluid sensor cuz all 3 were bad.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok awesome thanx for the help ill look into it this week...so there is a pump for the front and the back?
Old 12-24-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes....2 pumps. you have to remove the plastic inner fender well to get to them.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Ok I figured that can you buy the parts for that at any parts.store
Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

hi, is it possible for one of the pump motors to be "kind of" bad? My back squirter always works. The front ones will work for a couple of months, then not work. ANd then a couple months later I try it just for the heck of it and it'll work again.
Does that system need to be primed somehow? (the tube that sticks down into the plastic bottle)
I have a manual, and it only shows where the pumps are, no real trouble shooting for this.
One more thing, when they (front ones) work, they both work, and likewise when they don't work, they both don't work.

thanks!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Another super easy thing to try. Make sure your squirt nozzles are clear of any crap ( old wax, tree sap etc. ) I always seem to have some bike brake/gear cables laying around take a piece of the wrapped wire, unravel and use to make sure the nozzle itself is clean. You should also find the two pumps are in somewhat easy/difficult to get to depending on your definition of a PITA. Aftermarket usually only sells ONE pump and give you this wiring adapter. Factory pumps have the right wiring connector for each but can be $$$. Check wiring first. Might be an easy fix as well. The pumps are at the bottom of the tank inside the driver's fenderwell. Have also seen people mess with these without taking the fender splash panel out by laying on the floor/ground looking up. Works good until you pull the pump a little too hard...it comes all the way out...immediately followed by the fluid headed for...yep your face!

Good Luck!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

hi GAPANDA, thanks for the additional tips. I've read in several posts about the pumps being under the tank on drivers side. But in my '95 the tank (plastic water tank) is on the passenger side. Will take a look under there later and see what I can see. As far as wiring - it almost makes me think it might be the wiper switch that you push inward to activate the front squirters. Like maybe there's a contact under there that is bad. Not looking fwd to taking the housing around the steering wheel apart. But if I could get at the motors under the hood, maybe I'll see something obviously loose or bad.
The Jeep was in a driver's side front side accident about maybe 18 months ago, and now that I think about it, that's about how long this intermittent problem has been occurring.
thx again!

Last edited by emzdogz; 03-29-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: sp