Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Windows Slowly Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Windows Slowly Not Working

I'm 90% this is electrical, but here we go!

I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee and when I bought it, the rear passenger window had problems. It would go down, but would only go back up if I swapped a different switch over temp. Thinking a new switch would fix that I went and got a new one, switched it in and yay! it worked for 2 days, they started the same thing over again. So the switch in THAT door shouldn't be the problem. Now, the passenger side front window does not work at all. If I try to use the master switch and put that window down, it shuts my radio off. The drivers side windows both work fine. I'm thinking about replacing the master switch.

Other things that happen. When the passengers side front window did work, it would only work intermittently, that meaning, the master switch would act like the window lock was on even though it wasn't, a nice tap to the side of the bezel would usually free this up but lately, nothing. Also the green indicator lights inside the master switch intermittently turn on and off (The arrows for the electric mirrors and what not).

I'm assuming/hoping this is the master switch problem, but I am asking if anyone believes otherwise before I tear off all my door shells again to replace something that may not be the problem. As far as I know the fuses are all in proper order, but I could be wrong. I'll check over them again.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry III