Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Window Switches, Windshield Wipers, & Radio Cutting Out Intermittently?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Window Switches, Windshield Wipers, & Radio Cutting Out Intermittently?

I know Chrysler is known for weird wiring and a bunch of problems pertaining to it. I even know of some splice a wire in the to fix some problem but i can't remember exactly what that one fixes. I think my problem is different though.

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. 4.0/AW4/NP231/D30/8.25.

When i first bought the jeep the blinkers didn't work along with the flashers. When i turned the flashers on nothing happened. Normally one blinker would blink really fast (no lights out) and that was it. That problem somehow sorted itself out and now they all work fine. (Blinkers at least. I'll go check the flashers in a minute.)

The problem i'm going to describe now used to happen like once a month if that. But within the past week it's been every time i go to drive the jeep.

As long as i've owned the jeep the front passenger side window controls have worked intermittently. I would normally have to control them from the driver switches. Those always worked.

But now my radio, window switches, both of the cigarette lighters, and my windshield wipers (along with the fluid to clean the windshield) doesn't work. Just no power. The radio (stock radio) has power but no music plays. Where the time would show it has no power. But the rest of the buttons are lite up.

Normally turning the jeep off (cycling the ignition) would work to reset it and everything would work again but now that only works like every 10th try and even then like a minute later it cuts out.

Any ideas where to start? Think the passenger side window switch is affecting all of this?