Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Winch in the back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Winch in the back?

I've been thinking about this for a while. I figured out mounting the winch in the back of the jeep is worth more than on the front. Here's why:
1. You add the weight to the back and keep the front lighter. This makes the jeep more balanced
2. You could use it in the back as well as in the front
3. If your battery is under the back seat (like mine) you don't need to run big expensive wire all the way to the front.
4. You keep the jeep's front shorter
Has anyone done this before? Any ideas? Any pictures? Any problems I might be facing? I'd really appreciate the help
Thanks people!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by tk3c-pyce
I've been thinking about this for a while. I figured out mounting the winch in the back of the jeep is worth more than on the front. Here's why:
1. You add the weight to the back and keep the front lighter. This makes the jeep more balanced
2. You could use it in the back as well as in the front
3. If your battery is under the back seat (like mine) you don't need to run big expensive wire all the way to the front.
4. You keep the jeep's front shorter
Has anyone done this before? Any ideas? Any pictures? Any problems I might be facing? I'd really appreciate the help
Thanks people!
i thought about this too but for other reasons , you usually get stuck going foward into into something , so why drag your self all the way thru it , seems easier to get out the way you came
Old 11-24-2009, 09:14 AM

Year: 1994

I plan on just using a 2" receiver mount for my winch, so i can swap it to front or the back and take it off when I'm not needing it.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I am going to mount one on the back. I have one on the front now. I haven't finished the bumper yet due to other builds. But here is a thought. It is much easier to pull yourself back out the way you came than it is to push forward through whatever got you stuck in the first place.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:27 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

Warn makes a winch designed to go into the receiver on the back. It comes with a quick connect plug and works very well. I love mine.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Year: 98' and 99'

i agree with getting a winch that mounts to 2" receiver, because you can easily remove it when not needed,,

and yes i agree that a winch is alot more usefull on the back, just looks ridiculous if its permanent
Old 11-24-2009, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

that winch in the rear won't get you up that ledge to get you to the end of the trail.
whatchew gonna do when you are near the top but need that bit of a pull? you gonna pull yourself down the hill and try to hammer your way up again, only to not make it again?

winch in the rear may have it's benefits, but i've never found it yet...

isn't the whole idea to get through to the end of the trail?

and a receiver mount is pointless. have you ever tried to carry that much weight from the front bumper to the rear when your waist deep in slippery as snot mud fighting the embankment just to get to the rear to fight with the receiver mount, let alone find it under mud and water, then hooking up wet cables?
then there's the whole where do you store it? in the back, under all the other crap? you better have it tied down secure, cause if you ever roll, that thing will take your head off.
better to have somebody behind you to pull you out with a strap. you'll need the winch more up front... on a solid mount.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by caged
that winch in the rear won't get you up that ledge to get you to the end of the trail.
whatchew gonna do when you are near the top but need that bit of a pull? you gonna pull yourself down the hill and try to hammer your way up again, only to not make it again?

winch in the rear may have it's benefits, but i've never found it yet...

isn't the whole idea to get through to the end of the trail?

and a receiver mount is pointless. have you ever tried to carry that much weight from the front bumper to the rear when your waist deep in slippery as snot mud fighting the embankment just to get to the rear to fight with the receiver mount, let alone find it under mud and water, then hooking up wet cables?
then there's the whole where do you store it? in the back, under all the other crap? you better have it tied down secure, cause if you ever roll, that thing will take your head off.
better to have somebody behind you to pull you out with a strap. you'll need the winch more up front... on a solid mount.
i totally agree , my winch is in the front and yes the goal is to get to the end of trail , but i was just saying some trails it would be nice to have one in the rear , most trails here are mud and water and sometimes you dont know how deep some things are , so it would be better to reverse out and find a new line then drag your self thru a lake
Old 11-24-2009, 09:49 PM

Year: 1989

How about just getting a come-a-long and some extra line/straps and some of those heavy duty pulleys or even a Hi-Lift? Hook it up in back and crank yourself out. It may tire you out but it would be an easier setup.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

yeah, but that's what the guy behind you's for. haha. but you'd have to get your TB to crawl ontop of your rig to hook up the strap.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:59 AM

I've seen someone installed a winch on the rear of his jeep JK.
Here is a sample picture.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 PM

Year: 1989

All I know is I don't have the money to get a front winch, let alone another for the back, (kids, family take priority), so I gotta keep things simple sometimes. Do what you can when you can. If you can do a front and rear winch, sweet.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

agree with the multimount. i'd keep it on front though. i'd rather get pulled through a obstacle/mud hole then going backwards and trying to figure out how to get past it.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

i like the multimount, but i think it would suck to have to move around afterwards. I'm still going multimount so I can put it in the back for my "firewood gathering" that i do to keep warm. But I would also suggest not wheelin alone and make your friend get a winch too so you can pull eachother out
Old 12-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Seasoned Member

2" receiver on the front and rear bumper. Still haven't got the winch yet but will soon.

:-)