Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

will the rustys or rough country discos work with 3" lift????

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default will the rustys or rough country discos work with 3" lift????

I'm looking into some quick disco's since I hate the ride without a swaybar even though i love the flex. my 1998 cherokee sports only got a 3" rough country lift and while reading
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...&Category_Code= only fit 3.5-6" of lift
and
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtr...sconnects.html fit 4-6" of lift.
please help me would either of these disco's work with my little 3" lift? and looking at the 2 i'd prefer the rough country but if they don't fit i'm gonna have to go with what does you know. I've been reading all the reviews and all and those 2 are what I'm down to.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

well i have 3" RC springs, with 2" Poly spacers. so about 5" and i dont think these RC disco's would work if i took my spacers out.. so with that said. i say NO with the RC's

Not sure about the rustys..
Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 PM

Year: 99 xj
Engine: 4.0L

i bought jks quickers . but havent put them on yet .. those are adjustable .kinda pricey tho if ya ask me .. im not running any anti sway bars .. with 4.5 lift ..
Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Seasoned Member

I am in the same boat in needing some disco's- which of the above are better? The price difference is marginal ($5). I have 4.25" of lift up front so fitment should not be an issue, I just want to know which is a better product, if there is much of a difference. Somehow I thought disco's were at least twice this price! For the $50 I'm going to order a set today.

If they are about the same then I'll go RC because of the great RC lift I already have.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Here's more options:

http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc2?ki=67&gr=

I have their 4.5" links and my gf's brother has em too. We are both impressed. Nicely made, good price. Free shipping too.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Destro
I am in the same boat in needing some disco's- which of the above are better? The price difference is marginal ($5). I have 4.25" of lift up front so fitment should not be an issue, I just want to know which is a better product, if there is much of a difference. Somehow I thought disco's were at least twice this price! For the $50 I'm going to order a set today.

If they are about the same then I'll go RC because of the great RC lift I already have.

Go RC, Rusty's will kill you in shipping

if your on NAXJA they will give you a 10% discount also, talk to Jason
Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by muddeprived
Here's more options:

http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc2?ki=67&gr=

I have their 4.5" links and my gf's brother has em too. We are both impressed. Nicely made, good price. Free shipping too.
Free shipping is nice, but the Zone price is double the other two options at $99. That is getting close to the price for a set of JKS. :-)
Old 06-25-2009, 12:07 PM

Year: 1996

Yes Quick Disconnects will work with your lift but you will need to relocate your stock axle sway bar mounts to the inside of the spring perch instead of where the factory has them on the out side of the spring perch, also go to Rusty's web site and get a pair of there extended axle sway bar mounts they are just like stock except longer and much thicker steel and can be trimmed down to fit your lift specks exactly then just cut the old ones off and weld new ones in place on the inside of the spring perch down to the axle and connect your quick disconnects and your good to go that is what I did to my XJ with 10 inches of lift, works great!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000 - Murdered out
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have Rusty's discos on mine with a 3" Pro comp lift and they work great. $60 to my door in 3 business days.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by buschmeister
Yes Quick Disconnects will work with your lift but you will need to relocate your stock axle sway bar mounts to the inside of the spring perch instead of where the factory has them on the out side of the spring perch, also go to Rusty's web site and get a pair of there extended axle sway bar mounts they are just like stock except longer and much thicker steel and can be trimmed down to fit your lift specks exactly then just cut the old ones off and weld new ones in place on the inside of the spring perch down to the axle and connect your quick disconnects and your good to go that is what I did to my XJ with 10 inches of lift, works great!

Did you have to do all of that cause your at 10" of lift?

cause i was under the impression that they were pretty much bolt in
http://www.roughcountry.com/install/1186.pdf
Old 06-26-2009, 01:02 AM

Year: 1996
Talking

Yea I had some clearance issues with the Tera-Flex high-steer making it impossible to weld the new quick disconnect axle mounts on the outside of the spring perch in the factory position without hitting the tie rod on the passenger side. And the coils with 10 inches of lift were hitting the sway bar end's by about a 16 of an inch so to make for better on road handling I cut one and a half inch's off the tip of each side of the sway bar ground the under side flat and welded the quick disconnect bracket in place and reinstalled the sway bar with Polly bushings. So now with a narrower taper in the sway bar for everything to line up properly it was necessary for my aplacation to re weld to the inside of the spring perch with the longer axle sway bar mount's.