Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Will This Lift/Tire Combo Work Out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Will This Lift/Tire Combo Work Out?

Hello all, Ive been researching lift kits / tire combos for about a month now and have decided on something, just wanted to make sure with all you gurus that it will work out with minimum death wobble, due to it being my DD. It's a 2001 xj sport. my goal is to just make a decent mudding jeep for the weekends, but mostly just a DD and make highway speeds without shakin and rattlin too much.

4.5 RC Full Spring Pack.
Upgraded Nitro Shocks.
Steering Stabilizer.
Control Arm Drop Kit.
33 x 12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Tires.
15 5 x 4.5 Mickey Thompson Sidebiter Rims.

Ok, Next Thing Is, Im trimming my fenders to fit these tires.
Should I purchase the Rusty's flex fender flares to meet the offroading laws/ tire laws of washington or will they not stick out too much.

Thanks for all the help guys. this forum rox my sox.

Luke.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

With a 4.5 in' lift, you'll most likely start to experience driveline vibrations. A "temporary" fix is a Transfer Case drop, which is typically one inch. My buddy has a 4.5 in lift on his Comanche and he needed to do a little trimming to fit 33's and they rub the control arms on full lock. Also, you said you're doing full spring packs in the rear, but how are you lifting the front? Don't forget the front or you'll have a funny lookin jeep with 4.5" of lift only in the rear As for the fender flares, that's really up to you and how strict they enforce the laws in your area. They will probably stick out and I know for NJ, the front has to be completely covered by the fender flare to be legal. Good luck with your Jeep, hope I was able to help you out in some way.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:59 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by PwninXcore
Hello all, Ive been researching lift kits / tire combos for about a month now and have decided on something, just wanted to make sure with all you gurus that it will work out with minimum death wobble, due to it being my DD. It's a 2001 xj sport. my goal is to just make a decent mudding jeep for the weekends, but mostly just a DD and make highway speeds without shakin and rattlin too much.

4.5 RC Full Spring Pack.
Upgraded Nitro Shocks.
Steering Stabilizer.
Control Arm Drop Kit.
33 x 12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Tires.
15 5 x 4.5 Mickey Thompson Sidebiter Rims.

Ok, Next Thing Is, Im trimming my fenders to fit these tires.
Should I purchase the Rusty's flex fender flares to meet the offroading laws/ tire laws of washington or will they not stick out too much.

Thanks for all the help guys. this forum rox my sox.

Luke.
Well, whether the tires will stick out or not will depend on the backspacing of the wheels you buy. If you get some that have a little more backspace than stock, they should still be within the fender, but you may end up with some rubbing issues when turning, especially when the suspension is flexing at the same time. I think you would be happier if you get stock backspace or even a tad less, and get some bigger flares, like those. I am not sure what the laws are there, but around here the width of the tire needs to be completely covered by the flare. I have 33x12.5's on 3.75" backspace 15x10 rims, and the big bushwackers just barely keep it legal.

As for death wobble, there is no particular set up that will or won't cause it, so no one can guarantee whether you will get it or not. It is not determined by lift size or stabalizers, but more often lift geometry and bushing health. If you will be getting a lift kit, the geometry side of things is often considered and should be included in the kit. A drop pitman arm and a drop track bar bracket are usually involved, although I am not sure if that is common practice on 4.5" lifts. The important things are to keep your track bar and drag link consistent with eachother. If the pitman arm is dropped lower, the track bar needs to be as well. If you leave the mounts and pitman alone, get adjustable links for both bars and lengthen them both, that would theoretically work as well as long as the joints could handle the angles. Although, you typically want to keep them as horizontal as possible, hence the drop brackets and arms.

So, as long as those angles are dealt with properly, and all the track bar and control arm bushings are good, you will probably not end up with death wobble.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 Renix
Engine: 4.0L

I like the sound of the setup.. just remember that once you strengthen one area of the truck (subframe, steering, suspension, etc), you will place more force under strain to the system as a whole.

Case in point: I have a 91 2door w/ a 8" and 35s plus some other stuff. The front sway bar lowering kit allows me to use the JKS disconnects but after reading a bunch and thinking about how things stress under body roll conditions (top heavy).. the issue of a cracked frame under the swaybar mount on the driver side might become more prevalent.. also, steering boxs are known to twist and torque.. become loose from the frame.. cause stress and eventual cracking.

Where you will spend more $ than you had hoped will be on the the unseen componets that will make your rig able to handle the abuse. Dont drop all the $ in to it and not protect your investment.

BTW~ search my posts looking for DEATH WOBBLE.. could save your life..
actually.. hold on..
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/yes...-15056/index2/
look at the end of the second page

good luck