Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wierd jerking from the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Wierd jerking from the rear?

Hi guys,

So I went to drive my '91 XJ today with a friend after it had sat for about a week or so, and we both noticed a jerking sensation that seemed to be coming from the rear of the Jeep. It was most noticable at very slow speeds, starting from zero, and then above 15-20 mph it seemed to lessen, and then at 35 mph you couldn't really feel much of anything. Slowed back down, same issue. Thought the tires were low on air. Front left and rear right tires were 25 psi, front right and left rear were 30 psi. Filled everything up to app 34 psi since it's been cold, and hoped that would fix it. Wrong. Still felt it. However, I did notice after giving it a bit more gas to get up 35 mph, when I slowed down again it didn't seem as bad as before. No real noticable vibrations when braking or anything, maybe slight virbation if anything. I did have one guess as to the issue; when I had my rear brakes replaced a while back by a friend, it wasn't until a week later he told me he didn't use the self adjusting springs on either side (the springs that hook the bottoms of the shoes together, and 'supposedly' keep them adjusted). Is it possible this jerking is an out of adjustment shoe or something? The shoes were replaced a few months back, and I never had an issue until now. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

If my idea turns out to be the issue, does anyone sell just the adjuster spring, and not the entire kit?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I would pull the hubs and take a look....check at a brake shop and they may have the springs in their junk pile
Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

no really crazy about the title of this thread
Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

Why wouldn't he put the springs on? Get a new spring kit they are very cheap and do the brakes right.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Sounds like one or both drums are now out-of-round. Your pal may have over-adjusted them and there's warpage. You'd better pull them and run them on a lathe. I had to replace both of mine due to heat-warpage caused by over-adjustment.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Well this sucks. God I hope they aren't out of round, simply because if they are then the Jeep is going to be sitting for a long time; I haven't learned how to shoot money from my butt for new drums. I guess as soon as I can I will jack the rear end, pull the wheels, pull the drums, and check. I just don't understand why it would go months, no problem, and then suddenly start doing it out of nowhere.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

First you are jerking from the rear, now you are trying to shoot money from your butt, sounds like a few personal issues to work out first.

Back on topic, it probably just took time to warp and you are finally feeling the effects
Old 10-03-2011, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by Fsher21
First you are jerking from the rear, now you are trying to shoot money from your butt, sounds like a few personal issues to work out first.

Back on topic, it probably just took time to warp and you are finally feeling the effects

not really crazy about the title of this thread

THATS WHAT I SAID HAHA
Old 10-03-2011, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Well this sucks. God I hope they aren't out of round, simply because if they are then the Jeep is going to be sitting for a long time; I haven't learned how to shoot money from my butt for new drums. I guess as soon as I can I will jack the rear end, pull the wheels, pull the drums, and check. I just don't understand why it would go months, no problem, and then suddenly start doing it out of nowhere.
Mine started pulsing/jerking on the right side brake drum almost 4 months after the brake job. The parts shop replaced that drum free of charge. The pulse/jerk then began on the left side nearly 2 weeks later so I asked the parts shop to check it on the machine. They handed me another new one, checked the old one and found it was egg-shaped by 0.008". Damned chinese POS...
Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cherryokee
Mine started pulsing/jerking on the right side brake drum almost 4 months after the brake job. The parts shop replaced that drum free of charge. The pulse/jerk then began on the left side nearly 2 weeks later so I asked the parts shop to check it on the machine. They handed me another new one, checked the old one and found it was egg-shaped by 0.008". Damned chinese POS...
Then I guess that's the case. Btw, I think I will be looking into Advance's warranty, simply because I contacted my friend and asked him about the spring, and I was mistaken. If you look under Caged's d35 drum brake replacement in the how to section, all the hardware is there. Idk what spring in the kit he was talking about, but everything in that picture is there. Plus, the shoes were brand new as well, everything installed exactly as it should. I called advance, and they said I had to file a claim through the store I bought them from. I have a feeling this is gonna be a horrible process.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

If the drums were new when your friend did the work then there is no reason they can not be turned to true them up. I mean if the store will hand you new ones through the warranty easy then go for that but I just had a set of drums turned at napa ( for a different vehicle ) and it was $30 to have the set done.New drums for the vehicle I am talking about were $32 each for the cheap junk ones.
Just wanted to mention also that you will not be able to see .008" by eye.