Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wich lift kit to choose, THAT is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wich lift kit to choose, THAT is the question...

Hello
it must have been ask several times but couldn't find the specific information I wanted
want to build up on a Cherokee Sport 1999
my goal is: 6.5" lift, 33", lockers, 4.56 ratio, SYE... that's about it for the drive train part

was looking at the Rough Country 6.5" long arms kit, good price and quite complete kit
but found out it had not so much good reviews (stiff ride, no flex, pieces worn out prematurely (within a year) like: bushings or shocks

then moved toward a more expensive kit, BDS 6.5" long arms, reviews look good, kit even more complete
link: http://www.bds-suspension.com/kits/455H

so, anybody know either of those kits? any opinion? am I having wrong infos about those kits?
please advise

P.S. what I also want, is a durable kit...
please be gentle, its my first ever build, as a matter of facts, first 4x4 ever...
Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

let ask you as to why a 6.5" kit? you can fit 37" tires on a 6.5.......
Old 05-16-2010, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

X2 you should only need at 4.5 or 5.5 kit to run 33s
Old 05-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by CheapCherokee
X2 you should only need at 4.5 or 5.5 kit to run 33s
this ^ is true. if you want to run 33's and have long arms I would run this kit http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id=113. buy some nice shock and you have a sweet long arm setup. then trim to make you 33's fit. clayton makes awesome products and stands behind his product. he even wheels a xj!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:36 PM

I want to run 33s without cutting the fenders
like this picture (from BDS site)

Last edited by Dan_Cherokee99; 05-16-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Dan_Cherokee99
I want to run 33s without cutting the fenders
this makes no sense. you center of gravity will be super high. trim the fenders. its very easy and you can even keep your stock fenders flares
Old 05-16-2010, 06:42 PM

I know I could trim the fenders, but up here, rust eat cars like kids eat dessert (salt and calcium used on the road during winter)
trimming will only invite rust to eat the truck to the bones
that is the why

and 6.5 doesn't seem that high from the pics
Old 05-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Registered Users

I know I could trim the fenders, but up here, rust eat cars like kids eat dessert (salt and calcium used on the road during winter)
trimming will only invite rust to eat the truck to the bones
that is the why

and 6.5 doesn't seem that high from the pics
you know when you cut the fenders you primer over the exposed metal, right? well height is up to you but i wouldn't do it. I have a 4.5 long arm kit and run 35" bfg krawlers. here's a great kit at the height you think you need. http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id=114
Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Registered Users

that pic of the bds rig they trimmed their fenders. you will still rub when you turn on 33's with 6.5" lift
Old 05-16-2010, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
that pic of the bds rig they trimmed their fenders. you will still rub when you turn on 33's with 6.5" lift
yea if u wanna run 33s and not rub your going to have to trim regardless of lift height
Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

it will once you get in it. the center of gravity will be so off youll tip easier than a cow, and itd be like drivin a
get a 4.5" long arm kit and you'll be happy, if feel you need to go higher then add an inch. ive seen plenty of guys w/ 4.5" of lift runnin 33's with no trimming, they rub a lil at full flex but still.... and trimming the fenders doesnt invite rust if done properly, and if your that worried about it get bushwackers.

check this kit....
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-X5CPK

or this one....
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...px?part=RE6300

any bigger is pointless, and these are advertised as fitting 33's with no trimming....
Old 05-17-2010, 12:03 PM

thanks for the inputs,
I was thinking doing more mud then rock crawling, so I was looking to have more clearance, I will look into it
I don't want to get bigger tires then 33s, for mudding 33s are enough? or 31s would do the job as well?
I was aiming at the Interco TSL LTB in 33x13.5x15 (they don't make 12.5 in 15" on that model) are they any good? and do they worn out faster then snow under the sun or are they ok?
link: http://www.canam4x4.com/en/Tires/Int...B01_Group.aspx

sorry if the questions seem dumb,
but as mentioned in my first post, it's my first 4x4 and first built, so I want to do it right

thanks again for any inputs
Old 05-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Registered Users

thanks for the inputs,
I was thinking doing more mud then rock crawling, so I was looking to have more clearance, I will look into it
I don't want to get bigger tires then 33s, for mudding 33s are enough? or 31s would do the job as well?
I was aiming at the Interco TSL LTB in 33x13.5x15 (they don't make 12.5 in 15" on that model) are they any good? and do they worn out faster then snow under the sun or are they ok?
link: http://www.canam4x4.com/en/Tires/Int...B01_Group.aspx

sorry if the questions seem dumb,
but as mentioned in my first post, it's my first 4x4 and first built, so I want to do it right

thanks again for any inputs
I wouldnt buy the LTB if this rig is a dd. they are super soft and work great on the trail. On the road I saw a set only get 10,000miles. Since they 13.5 wide you are really going to have to do some trimming on you fenders and bumper to get those things not to rub.

Whats mudding? You going to mud race this rig?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:32 PM

Engine: I-6, 4.0 HO

ive had the rough country 6.5" on mine for about 6 months and i even added 2" to that. im running 35x12.5 and havent had a bit of problem. mine is trimmed alot though. if your just gonna play in the mud... that is the worst thing for it so if youre planning on ruining it anyways then why not cut it all up? the first time you bottom out in a mud hole and those nice non-trimmed flares turn into knives that cut your tire all up, your gonna wish you had. if you have a nice rig already and wanna do it right, dont play in the mud. im on my second XJ because the mud annihilated my first. another thing... look at the white XJ above, does it look like its ever been off road????? look around online and find pics of mud trucks. POS!!!!!! most are beat up and junk. you dont want that man.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
I wouldnt buy the LTB if this rig is a dd. they are super soft and work great on the trail. On the road I saw a set only get 10,000miles. Since they 13.5 wide you are really going to have to do some trimming on you fenders and bumper to get those things not to rub.

Whats mudding? You going to mud race this rig?
Originally Posted by wmatt182003
ive had the rough country 6.5" on mine for about 6 months and i even added 2" to that. im running 35x12.5 and havent had a bit of problem. mine is trimmed alot though. if your just gonna play in the mud... that is the worst thing for it so if youre planning on ruining it anyways then why not cut it all up? the first time you bottom out in a mud hole and those nice non-trimmed flares turn into knives that cut your tire all up, your gonna wish you had. if you have a nice rig already and wanna do it right, dont play in the mud. im on my second XJ because the mud annihilated my first. another thing... look at the white XJ above, does it look like its ever been off road????? look around online and find pics of mud trucks. POS!!!!!! most are beat up and junk. you dont want that man.
thanks
wisdom of the experienced is really useful

as for the mudding part
was meaning to do more muddy trails then rocky ones

but now I will change my aim, I don't want to destroy it, was thinking rock crawling was more damageable for the rig, and now I know its the opposite

for the LTB, I had a doubt they were not very durable, just needed confirmation
what brand of tires would you recommend then?
I like aggressive thread but the more aggressive they are, the faster they wear out and are noisy
what would be a good compromise between aggressiveness and durability?

Quick Reply: Wich lift kit to choose, THAT is the question...