Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Why Is My 91 Cherokee Sport Randomly Stalling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Why Is My 91 Cherokee Sport Randomly Stalling?

Up until yesterday, My 1991 Cherokee Sport 2WD 4.0 automatic has ran flawless. No mods, box stock. Plenty of fuel in the tank, and it was as if I reached down and just turned off the engine. Was doing about 25 mph, and was about 5 miles into my drive. Pulled to the side, fired right back up and proceeded to park. A 2 mile journey after that rendered no stalls. Little time had past, and I took another 5 mile or so trek only to have this happen again. This time it took a little loner to get it started. Drove it home without incident (2 miles) and parked it. There's no forewarning of these stalls such as sluggish acceleration, hesitation, etc, which seems to rule out fuel starvation. Just cuts out! Coil wires appear to be in good shape although while I had the hood up and engine idling, I heard what sounded like an arcing sound twice within about 10 minutes of idling. Engine ran smooth the entire time. Some say mass air sensor, while others say crank positioning sensor, and to also check the plug in to the computer module for corrosion. Trial, and error equals $$$$$ which I'm short of due to the 15 mpg this puppy gets. I love my Jeep. Can any of you veterans give my some good advice? Yes, I'm new here, and have faith in these forums. Thank you in advance. JT
Old 12-04-2013, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

It does sound like it's your CPS. Next time it dies on you and have a problem getting it started again unplug the cps and plug it back in. A lot of time when they start to go out that will help get her going again. Look for Cruiser54 write up on how to check them out. You can also check the connections for the cps and make sure they are clean and that the wires are intact. Normally when the are going bad and they heat up it will cause it to die. BTW, You can't always tell 100% if the cps is bad with the test Mine tested good but it was still going bad. Also if you do have to replace it get one from the dealer (OEM) Aftermarket one are known to be bad right out of the box and if they do work the have a real short lifespan.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

X2, cps is a very common failure