Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Where is this noise coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Where is this noise coming from?

My son's 2001 started making this noise a couple weeks ago. Local shop said it was the starter motor going bad. They replaced it and within a week the noise is back, along with some other weirdness.

Noise happens when shifting in and out of park (see video). Also last night he tells me the Jeep now starts when the key hits the second position instead of turning the key all the way to the third start position.

Any advise or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Ed

Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Sounds like the starter is re engaging when trying to shift into gears. Or it needs to be shimed. Aftermarket starters aint always exact like factory. Its weird it trys to start with the key on the second setting possible ignition switch or lock cylinder going out...
Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by zombiehunter99
Sounds like the starter is re engaging when trying to shift into gears. Or it needs to be shimed. Aftermarket starters aint always exact like factory. Its weird it trys to start with the key on the second setting possible ignition switch or lock cylinder going out...
Thanks for the input. It does sound like the starter is engaging, but not sure why when shifting in/out of park or neutral. After you shift into drive, its fine. The starter is a new not rebuilt AC/Delco that I ordered from Rock Auto, it should be OEM. I've Googled my a$$ off looking for answers and a couple somewhat related posts talk about a bad ignition switch. I would think a bad switch could engage the starter at random times, but why only neutral or park?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

It will only do it in neutral and park because of the neutral safety switch. It does sound like the ignition switch is bad and is becoming stuck in the start position and when you are in park or neutral it starts engaging the starter.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I would start with the ignition switch since you said that it is starting before the key is turned all the way.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:19 AM

Great! Thanks guys! The whole "its starts in the second position and not the 3rd" had me thinking that the switch is bad. Just wasn't sure if it was related to the sound. Anybody have an idea of how big or costly a job it is to replace the ignition switch?

Thanks again!!!

Ed
Old 03-07-2014, 11:26 AM

Ok... So this is getting frustrating!!!

Told the local shop to replace the ignition switch and that added a whole new chapter to this problem. They put in the new switch and used a screwdriver to start the Jeep. Works great!!! Noise is gone while shifting in/out of park and neutral. Now the problem is, as soon as they mount the switch. The Jeep won't start

The guy at the shop is dumbfounded, has no clue whats wrong or what to try next. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shop in the northwest suburbs of Chicago? Don't really want to take it to a dealership.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 03-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by fergusoneddie
Don't really want to take it to a dealership.

Why? You have probably spent a few hundred dollars at this jenky shop and the thing is still not fixed. And you are looking for another shop to spend more money at? If you took it to the dealer where people know what they are doing, it would probably be fixed by now and you wouldn't be looking to spend more money.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I bet you that they got the wrong switch for your year. There are usually 2 different ones.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by JWheeler
Why? You have probably spent a few hundred dollars at this jenky shop and the thing is still not fixed. And you are looking for another shop to spend more money at? If you took it to the dealer where people know what they are doing, it would probably be fixed by now and you wouldn't be looking to spend more money.
The only money spend at "this jenky" shop so far, was to install a starter motor. The 2 dealerships near us are not really any better (I've bought my last 3 Jeeps from one of them) and my son wants to try and cover the cost of this on his own. I was posting to the forum to see if this is something someone else has dealt with. IMO there is a 100% more knowledge on the forums than the dealership or jenky shop might have.

Thanks for your input.

Ed
Old 03-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
I bet you that they got the wrong switch for your year. There are usually 2 different ones.
Thats what they thought. The first switch was aftermarket from the parts house. When that didn't work. They called the local Jeep dealership and got the "correct" switch from them. Same problem with the OEM and aftermarket switch.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 03-07-2014, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

"Started it with a screwdriver"

If ignition switches were made to do that, we wouldn't need keys.

How come they didn't use a key?

Think that could be related to your problem?
Old 03-07-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
"Started it with a screwdriver"

If ignition switches were made to do that, we wouldn't need keys.

How come they didn't use a key?

Think that could be related to your problem?
The problem is not with the key cylinder. It appears to be with the ignition switch itself (see pic).

Old 03-07-2014, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

When switch is mounted is it depressing a saftey switch in the coloum that when switch is not mounted it its not depressing maybe ?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

If I understand this, it started when they hooked up the connector, and just used a screwdriver on the switch, and it started, then hooked everything back up, bolted into place and now it won't start.?

Sounds like the switch isn't installed properly, not the wiring, the actual bolting it up, or the rod going to the switch isn't hooked up right. I have not installed a switch in a jeep, but have on other makes, and those switches had to be adjusted when installed. If you just slap them in and bolt it up, most times they wouldn't start. Slide it up a little, and tighten the bolts. Again, not sure if the Jeep is the same..........RR

Quick Reply: Where is this noise coming from?