Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Where Are my Brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 01:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994/ 96 engine
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight 6 Baby!
Talking Where Are my Brakes!!!

Okay. New Guy here, still working out the kinks of this forum setup. I have a 1994 XJ Sport with a swapped in 96 motor. I bought the 94 not too long ago(seven months) and got the motor swapped before it threw a rod into the ocean! I tried to save the 94 motor with all kinds of lubricants but it really was screwed. Sad. Anyway that is my quick story here is the question I pose? Why do so many fb posters I encounter tell me that Jeeps are supposed to have barely functioning brakes? Mine are shot, it is insane driving to work. I don't know whether to slam the pedals or jump out the door. Ok they aren't jump out the door bad but they do suck. And everytime I talk about them somebody says oh no that's normal those brakes naturally are crap. What the hell man. Why is this. Anyway it is something I will not accept. I ordered a full kit from rockauto. The highest level. New calipers, slotted rotors, and brakepads. I know my Jeep will stop on a dime when I am done. I refuse to believe that the brakes are supposed to be that awful. No way man. So do you all in the forum believe your brakes are supposed to be crappy? I don't. Maybe it is just me but I will find out soon. I am not sure I asked a question. Oh yeah so regarding the whole new system I ordered for my XJ...will my brakes be less crappy? This is not a desparate advice question(though I may have some)...it is more of a how do you feel about your brakes question....hahaha
Old 12-23-2018, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts
Year: 1995 RHD
Engine: 4.0l

My braking system is great, I've never felt like they weren't doing much. When I pulled it out of its hole where it's been sat for years, I did have to replace brake lines, hoses and both front calipers have had new pistons and seals. This was due to it standing though but since repairing, not an issue. I work on older VW T2's so I know what a bad braking system is like to drive with (drums all round, no servo assistance).
Old 12-23-2018, 01:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

Thanks man! I knew it wasn't just me. Maybe I just talked to all the wrong people at the same time. I may have to do the brake lines too. No leaks or anything but it is probably a good idea since i am replacing everything else. I was just gonna flush the lines and install the new calipers. I will have to get in there and see how bad the connections look. Thanks again for your reply!
Old 12-23-2018, 01:50 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

If your jeep is new-ish to you, just do a complete overhaul. Up front, hoses, calipers, discs, out back, pads, drums, adjusters and wheel cylinders. Or, better yet, convert the back to disc now. It's all really low cost and easy.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:53 PM

BTW, stop taking advice from people who say the braking system is supposed to suck, they obviously don't have a clue
Old 12-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks brother! This particular Jeep is newish to me, but about 16 years ago I had a 93 XJ Sport...and that was my 4x4 of all time. It was amazing how it could just get through anything. But back then I knew nothing about engines, brakes, transmissions, the whole deal....I was just not into those things at the time. Now I have every tool...a giant air compressor, done tons of brakes, love fixing engines....Your advice is solid and precise and I thank you! I do remember never having a problem with my 93 brakes. So like I said I just talked to all the wrong people. I know what to expect and I will get it done accordingly. Thanks again!~!
Old 12-23-2018, 02:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DCWinterXJ
Thanks man! I knew it wasn't just me. Maybe I just talked to all the wrong people at the same time. I may have to do the brake lines too. No leaks or anything but it is probably a good idea since i am replacing everything else. I was just gonna flush the lines and install the new calipers. I will have to get in there and see how bad the connections look. Thanks again for your reply!
It's not too bad a job to do if basically everything else is being done. I had no choice, when pulled out of its hole, it burst one of the lines. The rest had failed an MOT test 2.5 years prior for corrosion after being sat for 5 years already by that point.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:09 PM

Thanks brother! This particular Jeep is newish to me, but about 16 years ago I had a 93 XJ Sport...and that was my 4x4 of all time. It was amazing how it could just get through anything. But back then I knew nothing about engines, brakes, transmissions, the whole deal....I was just not into those things at the time. Now I have every tool...a giant air compressor, done tons of brakes, love fixing engines....Your advice is solid and precise and I thank you! I do remember never having a problem with my 93 brakes. So like I said I just talked to all the wrong people. I know what to expect and I will get it done accordingly. Thanks again!~!
Anytime my friend, at least you know you talked to the wrong guys, but I'll put this out there even though I think you know it already....

DON'T GO WHEELING WITH THOSE GUYS, LOL
Old 12-23-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by roninofako
Anytime my friend, at least you know you talked to the wrong guys, but I'll put this out there even though I think you know it already....

DON'T GO WHEELING WITH THOSE GUYS, LOL
I would disagree may be fun to go hang back and watch the show!
Old 12-23-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by RockinRonnie
I would disagree may be fun to go hang back and watch the show!
Maybe. IF you got past said obstacle first, lol

DON'T BE THAT GUY ON THE TRAIL, LOL

There's more to trail etiquette than cleaning up, LMAO
Old 12-23-2018, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Lol i gave mine a good test today with a guy who stopped suddenly and i had nowhere to swerve to so slammed on them and im glad i got my rear brakes fixed and working because when i did my whole front dipped down like an old lincoln with worn suspension.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Actually all the guys I talked to who said this were in the FaceBook XJ group. I got angry but I did not go nuts on them. I just "politely" disagreed with them and then said well I am buying all new equipment and I know my Jeep will stop on a dime! I don't think anyone really challenged me after that. In the same post I said my XJ was pretty fast and I needed to be able to stop. A couple guys were laughing that I said it was fast...I was like this is the biggest group of aholes ever! Not of all them//I believe only the Aholes were the ones who replied....anyone I am glad I joined this group to talk to rational people with actual knowledge! I have to get more used to how you guys post in here like adding response quotes and stuff. I will get there. I will be mostly on in the evenings /eastern time but it will be fun I have plenty to talk about. Thanks again to all who posted!!!
Old 12-24-2018, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Old 12-24-2018, 09:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

So brakes, with yours being a 94 (if I read that correctly) then it has the single diaphragm brake booster which you can pull one from a 96 (and maybe 95 don't remember off the top of my head, just know 97+ was said to not fit for some reason) which would further improve the brakes beyond just refreshing things. I personally have never had an issue with the single diaphragm booster providing enough braking in my Comanche, but it has a vacuum leak so I got a dual diaphragm booster to replace it and just need to actually do it sometime.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:10 AM

Actually all the guys I talked to who said this were in the FaceBook XJ group. I got angry but I did not go nuts on them. I just "politely" disagreed with them and then said well I am buying all new equipment and I know my Jeep will stop on a dime! I don't think anyone really challenged me after that. In the same post I said my XJ was pretty fast and I needed to be able to stop. A couple guys were laughing that I said it was fast...I was like this is the biggest group of aholes ever! Not of all them//I believe only the Aholes were the ones who replied....anyone I am glad I joined this group to talk to rational people with actual knowledge! I have to get more used to how you guys post in here like adding response quotes and stuff. I will get there. I will be mostly on in the evenings /eastern time but it will be fun I have plenty to talk about. Thanks again to all who posted!!!
This is why I don't do fakebook or twatter. The fakebook page is a joke. Nothing but trolls and idiots.

Quick Reply: Where Are my Brakes!!!