Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Where does TCM connect to transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Where does TCM connect to transmission?

Hi all,
I'm new to forums so apologies if this is discussed and I couldn't find the solution...

I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee 4WD 6cyl. and am trying to find where the TCM wires connect to the transmission. I'd like to check the connectors before I go out and buy a new TCM. If you have a diagram or picture, can you please share?

Thank you,

Jake
Old 08-26-2018, 09:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Here are some reference manuals to download. https://xjjeeps.com/#ReferenceDocuments
Old 08-27-2018, 01:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Hi Jr, and welcome to the forum! I doubt there is a troughr, better made auto trans than that AW-4 you have there. (Asian Warner's go in Toyotas also).

Here's my .o2's worth. Inside there are three solenoids that work just like a starter Bendix solenoid. Two of them in different states control which gear, and the third locks the torque converter so it doesn't slip. (side note, you might have a switch in your brake petal that makes sure the TC isn't locked while you want to stop). There are sensors all over both the tranny and engine feeding info to both computers, but the final control of the solenoids is indeed from the TCU via a wiring plug behind and below the dipstick. IIRC that is the gray plug, the black one next to it being for the neutral safety switch. I may be backwards, but no harm in spraying them both out with electrical contact cleaner.

Others here know better than me. It's not all that rare that a solenoid fails. Also it seems TCU's fail more often then ECM"s or PCM's.

If you post up what it's doing likely someone here can help you, solenoid resistance can be checked right at that plug.