Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

where do i get the best rear leaf pack?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 h.o.
Default where do i get the best rear leaf pack?

what is the best/cheapest full leaf packs to replace my stock ones? im about to do a 3 inch pro comp lift, and the rear lift is an aal, and i think it would be better to go ahead and get full leaf packs right from the get go, so i dont have the lift sag down way to much and get frustrated and have to do it anyway. so where should i go to get new leaf packs? i dont want to spend ALOT of money, i just want a quality product that will get the job done and not sag too much. thanks guys
Old 01-08-2011, 12:12 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

5 yrs on my rough country leaf packs and they dont seem to be sagging yet (3in)
Old 01-08-2011, 12:30 AM

this is my 3 inch lift kit, and all of its componants. my rear aal's are 21-21.5 inches long, my jeep is a 93 that has 79,000 miles, but most of them were just old lady miles driving around the southwest wyoming town of rock springs (i got it with 59,000 miles) the jeep doesnt look like it sags now, it looks level, but should i need new rear leaf packs with 21 inch long rear aal'sto keep my 3 inches of lift? and is there anything else i need to enhance my lift? i just need it to clear 31x10.50 tires and look decent, i dont want it to sag after a few months. this is my daily driver, and i want it to still be smooth, and look good too, as it has relatively low miles and not a single scratch on it (till i take it hunting and have to drive through a willow infested river bed.....) thanks for any input
Attached Thumbnails where do i get the best rear leaf pack?-photo-0003.jpg   where do i get the best rear leaf pack?-photo-0004.jpg   where do i get the best rear leaf pack?-photo-0005.jpg   where do i get the best rear leaf pack?-photo-0006.jpg   where do i get the best rear leaf pack?-photo-0007.jpg  

Last edited by sheepdog; 01-08-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:31 AM

sorry, couldnt fit the pics on my last post, had too many
Attached Thumbnails where do i get the best rear leaf pack?-photo-0008.jpg   where do i get the best rear leaf pack?-photo-0009.jpg  
Old 01-08-2011, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by sheepdog
sorry, couldnt fit the pics on my last post, had too many
I'm getting mine from quadratec, look under the replacement parts category on the left hand side. They are 75 dollars each
Old 01-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Year: 1998
Default My OEM packs from Quadratech are niiiiiice !

I bought the HD full spring Packs from Quadratech.
The HD are the Upcountry Springs that provided 1" of lift with the Factory Upcountry Package. THey are slightly thicker than the stock leafs which is where the added lift come from.

The Packs are made by Crown and were $99. each w/o bushings and only $225. for the pair delivered to my door which was extremely reasonable.

A full length add a leaf (about 34") and OEM springs would probably net you about 3" of lift if I got 4" using the lower 2 HD leafs and a full length AAL.

The key is that you are increasing the number of leafs in the packs from 4 to 5 making the overall strength of the packs stronger.

As long as they're graduated in length then the forces are all distributed equally amongst all of the leaves and less prone to damaging one leaf over the other leading to sag.

If my setup begins to sag, I still have two more leafs from my HD spring packs to build an even stronger pack if necessary.

Last edited by NH_Jeep_XJ; 01-08-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

i priced many options recently

OEM leafs:
4WD: $206 with possible free shipping
Quadratec: $216 shipped
Point Spring in Fairmont: $310
RC: $196 + shipping. this may or may not be accurate. i took the kit price with new leafs and subtracted it from the AAL kit price.

Advance: doesnt carry leafs
Autozone: doesnt carry leafs
Napa: $410
JC Whitney: $280
Rustys: $250 for 4.5" leaf pack.......appears to be a good deal. $230 for 3.5"
OEM Parts Store: $328
Old 01-08-2011, 03:52 PM

Year: 1998

Sorry, I just noticed you had the half length AAL.

See if you can work a deal with Pro Comp where you got your lift from ?
Tell them your situation and maybe they'd even take the half a##ed AAL back and give you credit towards full leaf packs.

Any set of leafs new or old will sag if you place too much load on them and/or they're old to begin with.

People do like the OME (Old Man Emu) leaf packs and they can be found for about $240. a pair before shipping.

They too can sag though. Just check out project skymiles on 4x4wire.com.
He went with a lighter OME spring pack vs a heavier pack and they began to sag within the year. BUT the guy was running longer shackles as well as hauling everything but the kitchen sink in the back of his XJ !

All springs have a particular load rating and in physics it's called a spring coefficient.
If you exceed it then the metal fatigues and your springs are done.
If the springs are too heavy and you aren't loading them enough to flex them then you get the proverbial dump truck ride !

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/xj_ome_tflx/rear/
Old 01-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0 HO

BDS
Old 01-08-2011, 05:35 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by GreenXJ95
5 yrs on my rough country leaf packs and they dont seem to be sagging yet (3in)
Did your leaf packs give you a solid 3" of lift? My 3" rough country packs gave me 4.5-5" of lift, I was wondering how long it took yours to sag to 3".. if they did.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

its not cheap, but you can go to Deaver and have them make you a custom set. its the best option out there IMO
Old 01-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1994

STOCK leaves, extended shackles and RELOCATION BRACKETS from BrianHO over on NAXJA!

I dictched my add-a-leaf and it was the best thing I ever did for comfort and flex. Should've done that LOOOONG ago!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Engine: 4.0 inline 6

personally in my opinion i would go with completely new leaf packs my reasoning behind that is i have an 01 Cherokee and i put a 2" budget kit on it like two years ago and i caused the leaf packs to sag more to the point were they were reverse bending. leaf packs are under a lot of stress and the metal fatigues to the point to no matter what you do they will sag i highly recommended new leaf packs
Old 01-08-2011, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by whitearabb71
personally in my opinion i would go with completely new leaf packs my reasoning behind that is i have an 01 Cherokee and i put a 2" budget kit on it like two years ago and i caused the leaf packs to sag more to the point were they were reverse bending. leaf packs are under a lot of stress and the metal fatigues to the point to no matter what you do they will sag i highly recommended new leaf packs
When you did your 2 inch BB was that on brand new leafs, or the original factory ones?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:57 PM

well i dont know if pro comp would work with me, because the guy i got the kit from bought it in 2001, to put on his jeep, but sold his jeep a few days before it arrived in the mail.....so he had a lift and no jeep. he just held on to it, and my bro in law ran on to it, as he works with the guy, and my brother in law knew i was looking at a 3 inch lift kit, so he talked to the guy and got the lift for a really good price. so its 10 years old, just never installed, and im the second owner....i dont know if pro comp would help me out as far as trading for packs or full length or what. so do you think if i got a 3.5 inch full length aal, would i be able to get a steady 3 inches of lift? i can get a set of 3.5 inch full lengh aal's from rusty's for $59, just wondering if this would be a good option for my stock leaf pack, cuz if im gonna get new leaf packs, i think ill just spend 30-40 bucks more than OEM and get some rough country 3 inch rear leaf packs (found some for 260 a pair) but do you think substituting my short pro comp 3 inch aal with a full length 3.5 inch aal would get me 3 inches of lift? i dont have heavy bumpers, just stock ones, and all i have in my back is my spare (which would come out after the lift cuz i dont think a 31x10.50 will fit in my spare rack) about 20 pounds of tools, some blankets, and a sub and sub box that weighs about 30 pounds, and i usually only have myself or me and my girlfriend in my jeep. so do you guys think that would work?