Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wheel Offset Question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001 XJ Limited
Model: Cherokee
Default Wheel Offset Question???

I'm new to the board here and was wondering if someone could help me with a few questions. I have a 2001 Cherokee XJ with factory 16 X 7 inch rims and I am in the process of getting a 2" Skyjacker XJ20 econo lift with new shocks and steering stabilizer as well.

I am really interested in buying the new 15X8 Mickey Thompson sidebiter wheels to replace current OEM wheels. I have had my heart set on these because I really like their look, but I'm not sure if they will work right. One question is with the offset. These have a -30mm offset, and I don't know what the offset is with the OEM wheels. I am also going with a rim that is an inch wider being a 15X8. Will these wheels work on my jeep? If so, will they be sticking out to far past my fender flares that it won't look right? I am very confused about the whole offset issue. Lastly, my tire guy told me with the 2 inch lift, I can go to a 31X10.5R15 tire, and that it will fit nicely in there. Will that be too big to where I will have rubbing issues? Would I be better off going with a 30X9.5R15 tire? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Old 01-18-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

You will be fine with the new wheels. I'm running 15X10 Pro Comp Wheels and they fit fine. The offset refers to the face of the wheel. Since its negitive it means its sunk in to the wheel. If it was postive it would be pushing out from the wheels.
I'm sure the 31's will fit too. They should look good!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the info. After looking at a bunch of threads on this forum and a few pictures of the cherokees on here, it looks like I would be cutting it real close with 31's and a 2" lift. I really don't want to have to make any cuts, so does anyone else have any suggestions? I am getting the impression that the MT sidebiters will fit just fine. I forgot to mention earlier that they have 3 5/16" backspacing along with -30mm offset. So these wheels should fit okay without sticking out too much and looking awkward? Thanks in advance for any more info. I plan on using my tax return to get all this work done and I'll definitely post pictures when done.

I sure am glad I found this place with the plethora of knowledge on here
Old 01-18-2010, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Most stock XJ wheels are about 5" BS, most aftermarket are anywhere between 4-3.5" So you are fine, shoudl help prevent rubbing susp. components.

Unles you are getting the skyjacker kit for really cheap or free, there are definitely better alternatives for a BB that are the same price or less. Including a "BYO" which can include but not limited to, ZJ V8 Upcountry coils, spacers and or additionaly coil isolator, Bastard pack leafs, shackles.. etc.

Last edited by Metmknice; 01-18-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Thanks again for all the info.