Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wheel Hub

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wheel Hub

Well I was changing out my brakes today, thats when I noticed that the passenger side tire had a little play on it when it was off the ground. I then just thought that the rotor wasnt seated properly. I once again lifted the jeep back up and removed the tire and made sure that it was seated good. Put everything back togehther, and wouldnt you know it there is still play. When I took the jeep for a little ride around the block to test the brakes, my wife told me that the passenger side tire looked like it was wobbling a little. I am almost certain that the hub is bad. My question is, is the replacement hard cause I know I need to fix it if its bad, and is there any one out there that has done this before? I really dont want to mess this up.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

its pretty easy this should help
Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by DaveK-9
Well I was changing out my brakes today, thats when I noticed that the passenger side tire had a little play on it when it was off the ground. I then just thought that the rotor wasnt seated properly. I once again lifted the jeep back up and removed the tire and made sure that it was seated good. Put everything back togehther, and wouldnt you know it there is still play. When I took the jeep for a little ride around the block to test the brakes, my wife told me that the passenger side tire looked like it was wobbling a little. I am almost certain that the hub is bad. My question is, is the replacement hard cause I know I need to fix it if its bad, and is there any one out there that has done this before? I really dont want to mess this up.
i had to get mine off to get a broke lug bolt in and it was basically froze in only moved it about inch after banging it but im sure there is a puller that makes things easy
Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

You'll need a 12-point 13mm socket to remove the bolts holding the hub to the knuckle, and a big wrench or socket (I don't remember the size...) to remove the axle shaft nut.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:42 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

once you have the 3 bolts out that hold the hub to the knuckle, slide a 3/8" drive ratchet extension in the hole. It will fit through the knuckle, but will stop on the hub. Turn the steering wheel and push it out...

I learned that about 2 hours after I used a puller, and pulled HALF of the hub out

The ratchet extension trick is a miracle... made the other side a piece of cake... took about 30 minutes and a beer

Get timken bearings by the way... spendy, but you wont be replacing them any time soon...

the axle shaft nut is 36mm IIRC... if you are trying to fit it in the autoparts store parking lot, dont be a dumbass like me and try to fit it on the crown nut, the axle shaft nut is UNDER the crown nut, which slides off after you pull the pin... break the axle nut free while the wheel is still on the ground

Last edited by schadelh; 09-17-2011 at 04:46 AM.