Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

wheel bearing bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default wheel bearing bad?

alright so I was replacing my ball joints and steering knuckle and hammered the hub pretty hard to remove it...now I get a grinding noise when turning right and have all the symptoms of a wheel bearing failure or a bearing that's loose in the hub. Is this because of how I hammered it off? or was it getting ready to go and that was the final push? I have done wheel studs before and used an air hammer to press them in but noticed no play at all after that. I have quite the amount of play on the drivers side and an ever so small amount I think on the passenger side. I noticed a bunch of dirt in the area but it appeared that the bearing seal was fine...the bearing itself doesn't seem to make noise, I assume the noise I'm getting is from the rotor contacting the pads when it moves.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:24 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

The bearing won't affect the rotor touching the pads. That pads are encapsulated around the rotor. That system would stay as is with or without connection to the wheel bearing.
Just replace the bearings. They are cheap. You can use a slide hammer with a flanged tip to remove them and you can use a pipe to install the new ones on to the axles.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by gat
The bearing won't affect the rotor touching the pads. That pads are encapsulated around the rotor. That system would stay as is with or without connection to the wheel bearing.
Just replace the bearings. They are cheap. You can use a slide hammer with a flanged tip to remove them and you can use a pipe to install the new ones on to the axles.
You must be thinking of a different bearing than me...I'm talking about the front hub bearings or the hub themselves.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:16 AM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

For some reason I was thinking of the rear. I try to separate my usage of wheel and axle bearing, but clearly I failed to do that in my confusion as well.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 370 Likes on 330 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Check the backing plate to make sure you didn't bend it so it now touches the rotor.

U-joints are still good?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Dave51
Check the backing plate to make sure you didn't bend it so it now touches the rotor.

U-joints are still good?
Agree with Dave - definitely check the u-joints (which should be easy if you're removing the hub bearing).

You should always use the deep socket (or bolt) and power steering trick to pop out a stubborn hub bearing. I'm always hesitant to strike bearings with a hammer, but it's probably more the abnormal articulations/disturbing the area that exposed an issue that was already on the verge of exposing itself.