Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's it worth?

My search for the perfect XJ continues... Found one that looks great... 98, 100k miles and from Florida. It looks like a nearly new vehicle, BUT they're asking quit a bit for it. I ask you, what's it worth?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM

A few more...

Old 01-26-2011, 07:10 PM

Ok, let me rephrase... Assuming it's as mechanically sound as it is solid in appearance, what's the most you would pay for it? They're asking quite a bit more than book value, but this ain't your average XJ, either...
Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Looks like a nice clean XJ, I would say its worth around $4k?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.

It's worth book value. from the looks of it, it's in what the book calls excellent condition. It's rare to find one on book value excellent condition, but that's what the book is for, to tell you what it's worth. If the guy wants more than book value and you can't talk him down to book value, let him keep it and see if it sells anytime soon. If it doesn't, try to get it out of him at book value again. Or you could tell him to get a trade in estimate on it, that will open his eyes. Even a car dealer knows you will have a hard time finding a fool that will pay more than book value for a car, usually because book value is high enough that most need a loan and a loan company won't back a loan for more than the vehicle is worth. But hey there are a million fools in the world and maybe somebody will come along that will pay him what he wants. With all the bells and whistles, it books at $6100, thats what I would be willing to pay myself and only because it appears to have been well maintained. Definately take it somewhere and have the engine/drive train evaluated.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

If it is mech sound, $4500.00. looks very nice. I paid $2500 for my 98 with 218,000km on it. doesn't look as nice as that!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

do you know how long it has been for sale? Does the owner seem anxious to get rid of it or is he/she testing the waters? I have been fortunate in the last two that I bought. the owner was anxious to get rid of the cherokee and not had many lookers.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 PM

I guess I should have mentioned that it's at a dealer. They seem to know what they have... that you don't find them like this very often.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 PM

I just bought a silver 01' classic fully optioned with leather for $4600. It does idle rough and needs some minor electrical work (one door lock, one speaker, one seat heater). I would have paid a lot more because I wanted leather and it was a cool color. It's all about how much you dig the rig!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Honestly, it seems like the biggest appeal for this is how shiny the paint looks and how well its cleaned. You can bring any xj to a good detailer pay about $150 and get any xj to look that clean as long as the paint hasn't chipped/oxidized. They obviously just painted the plastic recently along with the rims black also which contrasts the paint to makes the color more vibrant.

Or with some research you could make most cars look this good yourself for about $100- apply swirl remover/polish, clay it, wax it 3 times with high quality wax light coats, then a topcoat wax, and then paint the plastic parts and then carpet cleaner. Don't let the clean looks fool you into paying too much.

Last edited by gvns8; 01-26-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:01 PM

Just out of curiosity, what are they asking for it?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by gvns8
Honestly, it seems like the biggest appeal for this is how shiny the paint looks and how well its cleaned. You can bring any xj to a good detailer pay about $150 and get any xj to look that clean as long as the paint hasn't chipped/oxidized. They obviously just painted the plastic recently along with the rims black also which contrasts the paint to makes the color more vibrant.

Or with some research you could make most cars look this good yourself for about $100- apply swirl remover/polish, clay it, wax it 3 times with high quality wax light coats, then a topcoat wax, and then paint the plastic parts and then carpet cleaner. Don't let the clean looks fool you into paying too much.
Very solid advice and I thank you. I had wondered if that was fesh paint, myself. I defintely won't buy it if it doesn't drive as good as it looks.

Originally Posted by xj TROLL
Just out of curiosity, what are they asking for it?
They're asking $6995. I got them down to $6250 without even driving it, just by pointing out how far over book it was priced at. I would like to drive it and see if I can talk them down even more, but it's over 3hrs away and I don't want to make the drive if I don't think I can talk them down...
Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 PM

Heres what the dealer had to say about it...

I dont have a whole lot of room to move on this one... you are right I would be willing to say that you wont find a jeep that looks like this one in MI, we purchased this from a private party owner in Florida and I shipped it up here. When you see the underbody it is as clean as you could possibly want for a 1998. I am aware that we are above the book value, but this is not your average jeep either, with that being said if you wanted to come take a look at it in person, you will see why I have it listed where I do, but I am also not in the business of holding onto a car because it is so nice either, we are here to SELL. I would be willing to let it go at $6250 plus taxes and i think that is a really good deal on this jeep. It is also great mechanically, at 90,000 miles the owner had his mechanic do a complete overhaul on the engine to extend the life of the jeep, they replace the head gasket, all cylinder heads, the camshaft, the ignition coil and the distributor just because he heard that those were the things that might go wrong on these jeeps and he didn't want that to happen to this one. I hope I am not coming on too strong here but I just wanted you to know the reason why this is a good deal compared to any run of the mill jeeps you are going to find for sale here in town. I would love it if you wanted to come take a look and feel free to give me a call or email if you have any other questions. thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: four-oh HO

Agreed on the spit shine and the book value. It would concern me to have had someone pull the head and the cam ("all cylinder heads??). That certainly doesn't make it pristine. And if someone has really been looking after the thing all that well, why is the rear wiper/washer shot?

Caveat emptor?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Agreed, people don't really rebuild the engine just to extend the life of the vehicle, something was wrong

Quick Reply: What's it worth?