Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What's this wire go to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What's this wire go to?

My gauge cluster stopped working and I think this may have something to do with it. I'm finding all sorts of cut wires the more I dig into this thing. Wiring is not my specialty but I think I'll be learning quick lol. I'm just not sure what this wire is supposed to be connected to. I want to replace it to see if it fixes my gauge cluster.

This is the ground (near the hood release)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:02 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

LOL...who knows.

It's not factory. Looks like someone used lamp cord. They pulled power from the fuse block and grounded it where the grounded it. Pretty sure that's not the source of your cluster issues.

Have you pulled the cluster yet? Check the grounds behind the cluster and all connections back there...by check, I don't mean look at it, remove, clean, and reinstall.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

That ground by hood release might be one of Cruiser54 tips to improve cluster function......http://cruiser54.com/?paged=2&cat=2
Old 09-02-2017, 09:35 AM

I suppose this would be a good time to ask the OP exactly what year and model Cherokee he's working on, LOL
Old 09-02-2017, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by roninofako
I suppose this would be a good time to ask the OP exactly what year and model Cherokee he's working on, LOL
Pulled from another "help me" thread

Originally Posted by jeepjeepjeepjeep
Just picked up another xj, it's the 1990 Cherokee Laredo with 161,000 miles. I ran into a new problem that I've never seen before... Took it mudding for the jeeps first time to see how shed do (found out the 4x4 doesn't work), I hit a good sized bump and then noticed my gas gauge started going UP. Passed the full line, pegged out. Now the only gauge that works is the spedometer. I'm pretty sure they all went out at the same time but I was pretty focused on that gas gauge. Sh*t blew my mind. Also the dash lights only work when they want to. I removed the cluster already, didn't see any obvious signs. I don't know much about electrical stuff but I'm not afraid to learn. Any ideas/suggestions?
Old 09-02-2017, 11:13 AM

Sounds like there's all kinds of stuff happening, lol...

So the cluster was pulled, connections cleaned and refreshed? Just looking at it isn't gonna help, haha
Old 09-02-2017, 09:38 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I've taken out the cluster and cleaned all the connections but I didn't think about taking the whole thing apart. It just sucks because i have no clue about anything electrical. It's a 1990 renix Cherokee Laredo, she's my second jeep. my first one had no electrical problems. This one is the complete opposite lol. I'll take the cluster apart and see how that goes.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:36 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks for all the replies, I've taken out the cluster and cleaned all the connections but I didn't think about taking the whole thing apart. It just sucks because i have no clue about anything electrical. It's a 1990 renix Cherokee Laredo, she's my second jeep. my first one had no electrical problems. This one is the complete opposite lol. I'll take the cluster apart and see how that goes.
So all fuses check out good. By good ,you confirmed power in and out with key in run position ? Electrial issues are fixed by step by step trouble shooting. Tearing into things in wrong order can create unfixable issue. A test light or volt meter is a must to have. Just trying to get you off on right foot.

Last edited by freegdr; 09-03-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:39 AM

Taking out the cluster and cleaning/refreshing connections is all you need to do, don't rip the cluster apart, haha

At this point, you need to do as freegdr suggests, start checking fuses, and diagnosing circuit by circuit. If you have a FSM, that should make it a ton easier....
Old 09-03-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by freegdr
That ground by hood release might be one of Cruiser54 tips to improve cluster function......http://cruiser54.com/?paged=2&cat=2
I made that upgrade yesterday (thanks cruiser - I'm making my way through your list!). It made no difference to the warning lights on the far left panel on my dash and I don't it should have or not. Everything works on my dash ('88 MJ) with the exception of the following warning lights - upshift indicator, washer fluid, emissions maintenance & hazard warning. On the same panel far left side) the seat belt and parking brake / fluid pressure lights work fine.

None of these lights have ever come on. Should they when the ignition is turned to the on position and then go off when the engine fires.

My clock works but it's very dim. Not sure what that is but I suspect it's a bad ground.

Last edited by PCO6; 09-03-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 L

Taking out the cluster and cleaning/refreshing connections is all you need to do, don't rip the cluster apart, haha

At this point, you need to do as freegdr suggests, start checking fuses, and diagnosing circuit by circuit. If you have a FSM, that should make it a ton easier....
Re my post above, I think I need to do this too.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Only newer Xj with no buss have the connection issue. Remember 1990 XJ completely different animal.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:09 PM

I've used a light tester to test all the fuses, with the key turned, everything checks out. Couldn't figure out how to use it on the connectors. One weird thing I noticed is the right turn indicator light stays on when the headlights are on. Both indicator lights do work, but everything else on the cluster does not work (except the speedometer on account that it is a cable directly to the transfer case, not a sensor). I haven't cleaned the ground on the oil dipstick bracket yet, and thankfully didn't take the whole cluster apart lolol. I will try a few more things as soon as I get the time. I appreciate all the help guys!!
Old 09-04-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
So all fuses check out good. By good ,you confirmed power in and out with key in run position ? Electrial issues are fixed by step by step trouble shooting. Tearing into things in wrong order can create unfixable issue. A test light or volt meter is a must to have. Just trying to get you off on right foot.
Is there a step by step thread on this or something I could follow?