Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gauge Cluster Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Gauge Cluster Confusion

Just picked up another xj, it's the 1990 Cherokee Laredo with 161,000 miles. I ran into a new problem that I've never seen before... Took it mudding for the jeeps first time to see how shed do (found out the 4x4 doesn't work), I hit a good sized bump and then noticed my gas gauge started going UP. Passed the full line, pegged out. Now the only gauge that works is the spedometer. I'm pretty sure they all went out at the same time but I was pretty focused on that gas gauge. Sh*t blew my mind. Also the dash lights only work when they want to. I removed the cluster already, didn't see any obvious signs. I don't know much about electrical stuff but I'm not afraid to learn. Any ideas/suggestions?
Old 08-29-2017, 01:46 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: Inline6 4.0

Assuming you have a speed cable and not a sensor, your cluster isnt getting power. That might explain why the speedo still works. Have you made sure all the connections are cleaned? Maybe get a real fine sand paper and sand down the copper a tad on each little strip that touches the clips metal terminal thingys.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:17 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jeepjeepjeepjeep
Just picked up another xj, it's the 1990 Cherokee Laredo with 161,000 miles. I ran into a new problem that I've never seen before... Took it mudding for the jeeps first time to see how shed do (found out the 4x4 doesn't work), I hit a good sized bump and then noticed my gas gauge started going UP. Passed the full line, pegged out. Now the only gauge that works is the spedometer. I'm pretty sure they all went out at the same time but I was pretty focused on that gas gauge. Sh*t blew my mind. Also the dash lights only work when they want to. I removed the cluster already, didn't see any obvious signs. I don't know much about electrical stuff but I'm not afraid to learn. Any ideas/suggestions?
Check out this link:

http://cruiser54.com/?p=110
Old 09-02-2017, 08:47 AM

Sorry for the late reply, been a busy week. I checked grounds and it looked okay, I still cleaned it and put it back together and there was no change. The lights used to come on if I banged the dash hard enough but nothing works since that day. I'm not sure what to do at this point, but I'm not giving up yet
Old 09-02-2017, 09:50 PM

Man I literally made a thread for pretty much the same thing except I have a 96 and the speedo does not work either. I got my stuff to work for about a day by cleaning the ground behind the dipstick. You could try that to see if that fixes your issue since mud may have gotten up there and messed some stuff up.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:56 AM

I had trouble finding it, I'll look deeper tomorrow. Thanks for the tip