Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Whats a good oil pressure sending unit?

Old 10-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Whats a good oil pressure sending unit?

'96 XJ 4.0 here and i replaced my oil press sending unit couple years ago and it seems like it's going bad again. I probably got this one at an O'reilly's and I'm not sure who made it.

Where would you find a decent oil pres sending unit that's not too pricey?
Old 10-10-2016, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

Just get one at the dealer. I was warned here long ago that when it comes to electrical components your better of going with the OEM ones. There are some such as O2 sensors that can be gotten at parts stores but as far as the oil sending unit I went to the dealer.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Just get one at the dealer. I was warned here long ago that when it comes to electrical components your better of going with the OEM ones. There are some such as O2 sensors that can be gotten at parts stores but as far as the oil sending unit I went to the dealer.
I also listened to everyone on here and bought one from the dealer. Paid more money and thought it was worth it. 6 months later this one died and now reads 80 psi running or not.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Take it back. I'd think it would be warranted for 1yr. When I did my gauge cluster swap I got a unit from one of the major parts stores. It lasted three weeks. Took it back and got a credit on it. My OEM one is doing fine after probably 6yrs.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Just thought of something. Seems to me someone around here pulled a sender that wasn't working out and cranked the motor over to clean out the hole. Worked then.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Kscha41
I also listened to everyone on here and bought one from the dealer. Paid more money and thought it was worth it. 6 months later this one died and now reads 80 psi running or not.
Usually when the senders fail, they fail low. A pegged oil pressure gauge is usually a sign of a wiring issue, either a bad ground or wires shorting out. Check your ground, and also check the wires in the harness going into the oil pressure sender connector to make sure that oil contamination hasn't eaten the insulation off.

I had one that failed and leaked oil through the connector onto the wires. I replaced the sender, and not long after that it started pegging the meter. I reached down and wiggled the connector while the engine was running, and it quit. I mean it shut off cold. So I took a closer look and realized the wires going into the connector were all bare where the oil leaking through the old sender had run down the wires and eaten the insulation right off. They were grounding out there. I got a new connector from O'Reilly and had to cut back up into the loom to find good wire to splice into, but once it was in the problem was solved.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Usually when the senders fail, they fail low. A pegged oil pressure gauge is usually a sign of a wiring issue, either a bad ground or wires shorting out. Check your ground, and also check the wires in the harness going into the oil pressure sender connector to make sure that oil contamination hasn't eaten the insulation off.

I had one that failed and leaked oil through the connector onto the wires. I replaced the sender, and not long after that it started pegging the meter. I reached down and wiggled the connector while the engine was running, and it quit. I mean it shut off cold. So I took a closer look and realized the wires going into the connector were all bare where the oil leaking through the old sender had run down the wires and eaten the insulation right off. They were grounding out there. I got a new connector from O'Reilly and had to cut back up into the loom to find good wire to splice into, but once it was in the problem was solved.
Thanks for the suggestions. I did look at the wires and they did look OK. I also took the connector off and cleaned it. I had the same results. I did put the old one back on and it works but the reason why I bought a new one is because the old one would read about 10 psi with key on engine off.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:20 PM

Take it back. I'd think it would be warranted for 1yr. When I did my gauge cluster swap I got a unit from one of the major parts stores. It lasted three weeks. Took it back and got a credit on it. My OEM one is doing fine after probably 6yrs.
I was would take it back but I don't have the receipt and is there a 1 year warranty on electrical parts?
Old 10-10-2016, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

You don't want a subpar part. Take the hit and buy an OEM Jeep oil pressure sending unit.

By far, the best for accuracy/reliability/mating with your dash gauge. Aftermarket oil pressure sending units are "hit and miss" with a lot of miss.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kscha41
I was would take it back but I don't have the receipt and is there a 1 year warranty on electrical parts?
Transaction will in their computer so you shouldn't need a receipt. Can't hurt to try.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:53 PM

Transaction will in their computer so you shouldn't need a receipt. Can't hurt to try.
Thanks I'll call them tomorrow and see.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:23 AM

We'll I just called the parts department and they said I have to have a receipt. A new one is 66 bucks. And I believe he said a two year warranty.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Don't know how I missed this post.

That's BS on their part. I've taken assorted items back to a lot of places(recently a vacuum cleaner that died on the second use). No receipt? No problem. They find your transaction on their computer. I'd go higher than who ever you dealt with.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:50 PM

Don't know how I missed this post.

That's BS on their part. I've taken assorted items back to a lot of places(recently a vacuum cleaner that died on the second use). No receipt? No problem. They find your transaction on their computer. I'd go higher than who ever you dealt with.
Well I ordered a oem one from ebay the other day so I won't even mess with going back to the dealer.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

OEM all the way. When I changed my gauges over from dummy to analog, I tried using an oil sender I got from Napa. It was leaking a month later. OEM has been running strong for a while now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats a good oil pressure sending unit?