Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What's the Difference: OBD-II and DTC's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What's the Difference: OBD-II and DTC's?

I found this snippet of troubleshooting on a different website, directed at XJ "diagnostic trouble codes"....
"Checking codes
For the 1998 to 2002 models you can access the trouble codes as follows. Insert the key but do not turn. Fully depress the trip reset button and hold down. Next turn the key to the on position three times and then leave in the on position. Release trip reset button and the gauges will flicker and the odometer will count down and then show the trouble codes.

Code Description
11 No camshaft reference during cranking signal detected during engine cranking.
12 Battery power to PCM was disconnected.
13 No variation in MAP from start to run sensor is detected. No difference recognized between engine MAP reading and barometric pressure reading at start- up.
14 MAP sensor input below or above acceptable voltage.
15 No vehicle speed signal. No vehicle distance (speed) sensor signal detected during road load conditions or shaft speed less than 60 rpm when speed above 15 mph.
17 Engine is cold too long. Engine coolant temperature remains below normal operating temperatures during vehicle travel (thermostat).
21 O2 sensor voltage not detected from the oxygen sensor input. Or 02 sensor input voltage maintained above or below normal operating range.
(and the list went on and on here, up to 77)

But it doesn't seem to work on my XJ. What's the difference between the diagnostic trouble codes and OBD-II codes? I did manage "some" key sequence that ended up giving me a "2.3" on the mileage counter after it counted up in digits during the cluster self-test. Was that the DTC code?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:02 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

DTC's are what the OBD-II uses to tell you what is wrong with the vehicle. As for the afore mentioned trick I tried it out of curiosity and got nothing. I know that some cars and trucks have the ability to do some on board code reading but I don't know if jeeps are one of them. You can go to places like autozone to have them do a read of all codes that are stored in the computer for free and it could show you what the numbers you got mean.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I am pretty sure only OBD1 jeeps can do the key trick and get the codes. OBD2 needs a scanner
Old 11-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Oddly, I have an OBD-II scanner and all the codes have been cleared, so am perplexed why I would have a DTC code that isn't showing up on the OBD-II scan unless they truly are different things that don't affect each other.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I thought the DTC where the general system codes whereas the ecu codes pulled from with the scanner where the more specific codes.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Year: 1996 Sport
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

hey man.... fyi....

Chrysler Diagnostic Trouble Codes
A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) indicates that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has recognized an abnormal condition in the system. DTC’s are the results of a system or circuit failure, but do not directly identify the failed component or components.

.... try this to read the dtc code....
.... follow exactly, it works! ...

... look here for more jeep/chrysler dtc/obd info.... http://jsautosource.com/factory-manu...eep-dtc-codes/ ....good luck!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kbad
.... try this to read the dtc code.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KLX9qi0llI .... follow exactly, it works! ...

... look here for more jeep/chrysler dtc/obd info.... http://jsautosource.com/factory-manu...eep-dtc-codes/ ....good luck!
That's why ya love these hobbies. The YouTube link also brought up two other methods, none of which were the same, and the JS Auto Source wrote about yet another method.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:21 AM
Seasoned Member

oh lord
another thread about nothing useful
the 2.3 you got was your trip odometer lol
OBD2 is on board diagnostics 2nd gen
DTC's are diagnostic toruble codes set by OBD2 becuse of a falure in a certain circuit

Last edited by jeff2285; 11-18-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jeff2285
the 2.3 you got was your trip odometer lol
Nope, sorry Pat but what prize do we have for our LOSER?!? The trip odometer was reset to zero long before the test.

I know what OBD-II is, but don't see the reason for the difference in why DTC codes will appear when no corresponding OBD-II code doesn't.