Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What years to buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What years to buy

Okay so Im looking to buy a used Cherokee for general daily driving and some mild to moderate off roading. From searching it appears that I want the inline six but I saw some threads about a toyota trans was used for several years and thats the ones you want? Is this true and if so is that a auto on manual trans and what years were those combos made? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:42 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

IMHO get a 92-97. Auto or stick is personal preference I prefer a stick. In those years you will be less likley to need a SYE for a small lift. Will have a high pinion front axle. Won't have the head problems of the 0331 heads. Better power and cooling than the renix motors. I like 2 doors but they are harder to find and there is substantial evidence that the 4 door is structurally stronger. 97 gives you cupholders! and no fake vent window on the doors and you can fold in your mirrors. Also gives you a metal hatch instead of fiberglass.

Hope some of that helps!
Cheers!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000

Get a 98 to early 99 and you won`t have the head problem. On 99 check for head casting 0331. these engines had the best blocks and heads and you`ll be able to find some low mileage units easier.
Almost everyone would prefer the stick but the AW4 tranny is almost impossible to kill unless you really try.
these years also came with the 29 spline 8.25 rear end that equates to a D44.
Some argument on the 231 or 242 transfer case. I kinda like the fulltime 4 wheel option. »Especially being in snow country.
interior is updated and still looks current.
I`ve had both 2 and 4 door several times. I like 2 door. helps me in refusing to give moochers a ride.
Parts are still easy to get because they are not SO old the junk yards have crushed them all.
I`m sure some more will chime in.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by nhlcanesfan
Okay so Im looking to buy a used Cherokee for general daily driving and some mild to moderate off roading. From searching it appears that I want the inline six but I saw some threads about a toyota trans was used for several years and thats the ones you want? Is this true and if so is that a auto on manual trans and what years were those combos made? Thanks in advance!
Read this!

GL with the search!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

The AW4 auto tranny is Aisin-Warner which may be where the japanese/toyota you heard comes from?

And my AW4 has 196K, never been rebuilt, was abused for years before I got it and shifts nice and smooth and on-time now that I've changed the fluid and adjusted the cable. It's dang near invincible.

I've never had the 5sp tranny but everyone says they're tough too so if you ask me I'll second the notion that the tranny is personal preference.

My 96 is nice, I'm very happy with it despite missing half my rockers and having extra "vents" in my floors from New England salt rust. The next one I get will undoubtedly be a 98 or early 99 (from Arizona on NM hehe). They have a better intake manifold, stronger rear axle (29 spline chrysler 8.25 instead of 27 spline) updated interior and I like how the front end looks better than the older style. The 98/99 are about as good as they got in my opinion - after that for 00/01 they got to complicated with extra emissions controls and electronics on the I6 engine, not to mention the hassle of avoiding the bad head castings when picking it out. My friend with an 01 had his head crack and die, and has had way more problems in less miles than my 96 and he babies it on the road only.

Also, didn't see anyone mention the older models (94 and earlier I think) have the vacuum-disconnecting front axle shafts. I have had nothing but troubles with vacuum locking systems.

Pre 96 is OBD1 if that matters also - I like the OBDII because it helps diagnose electrical problems like with sensors more specifically than the earlier OBDI system. I know a lot of people prefer the simplicity of the OBDI with less electronics though...

Lots to consider, but kinda hard to go wrong despite that!

Definitely check the unibody-frame-rails and floors for rust though - it gets bad quick and bolts tend to snap instead of unscrew!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I had a 94 5spd bought w/115k on it. Drove it bone stock off road in the Colorado Rockies every chance I got. Was my daily driver too. Replaced tie rod ends at 160k. Replaced the clutch at 189k. Drove the heck out of it for 150,000, Sold it and bought a 97 auto w/ 242 case. Love the f/t back here in the icy midwest. BTW, I do get worse milage with the auto tranny. About 8mpg less mixed driving around town.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

I'd say get a 97-99. I like that styling better, and the interiors are much better. Better rear axle too.

On the transmissions, if you can, get a manual. Yes, the auto AW4 is supposed to be good, but my last 2 xjs have had solenoid/mechanical problems = to you having to see if it's a coil pack replacement, or tcm diagnosing. PITA if you ask me. Manuals are harder to find, but well worth it IMO. And everyone I read about, has much better mpg on the manuals.