Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What is wrong with my AC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What is wrong with my AC?

I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport. My dad and I checked the pressure today and it was at 90...so we bleed the whole system out and put a new can of refrigerant in it. Checked all the fuses and they are all good...but for some reason the clutch wouldn't work( even tried tapping on it)....so I still have no AC....a few years ago when my brother owned it, the AC worked for about a week then quit, we assumed a leak but have come to find out that is not the case...What can I do? Cuz to be quite frank....sweaty girls aren't attractive. So at the current point and time its all windows down and driving like my hair is on fire to keep cool.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

u can try to jump the pressure switch, search for location or look in haynes manual
Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 PM

Thanks, I just might have to do that...or maybe give the future hubby this look and see where it gets me....
Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 PM

Year: 1999
Default a/c

Originally Posted by Jamie Lynn
I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport. My dad and I checked the pressure today and it was at 90...so we bleed the whole system out and put a new can of refrigerant in it. Checked all the fuses and they are all good...but for some reason the clutch wouldn't work( even tried tapping on it)....so I still have no AC....a few years ago when my brother owned it, the AC worked for about a week then quit, we assumed a leak but have come to find out that is not the case...What can I do? Cuz to be quite frank....sweaty girls aren't attractive. So at the current point and time its all windows down and driving like my hair is on fire to keep cool.

just serviced my 99 lastnight actuly, got the a/c at about 34 degrees coming from the vents.

first of all, when you checked the pressure and got 90, was the vehical running with the a/c on max?, if checked with the vehical off it would read high,
but if your getting this pressure with it running and on max a/c, that is way to high, (assuming your checking the low side), even if it's 90 degree's outside it should only be charged to between 45-55 psi, low side with max a/c.

Isaac
Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 PM

Default btw,

oh, forgot to mention, if your pressure is that high, the compressor probably wont turn on, due to the high switch not allowing it to.

"Jumping" it, like the other poster said, at that pressure could cause some problems lol
Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Jumping the connector to the pressure switch momentarily wont do any harm. I've done it many times to verify that the A/C clutch is operational. If it does engage after the jump your most likely looking at a low charge or a faulty pressure switch.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 PM

Default yeah what he said

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
Jumping the connector to the pressure switch momentarily wont do any harm. I've done it many times to verify that the A/C clutch is operational. If it does engage after the jump your most likely looking at a low charge or a faulty pressure switch.

agree'd, just dont keep it jumped,
sounds to me like the pressure was read while the vehical was off, and the pressure is simply low.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:15 AM

Yes the vehicle was running when we checked the pressure on the low side and got the 90.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:15 PM

Default pressure is to high

thats whats going on, pressure is to high.
I see your in Pa. also, with the summers we get the max pressure that you should load into the low side is like 55psi, on a realy hot day.

that high of pressure is keepingthe high pressure switch ,switched, so that the compressor will not run.

best bet would be to take it to a shop, have them evacuate the system, then re-charge to the proper pressure.
lastime i had it done it was $75 out the door.
or, you guys couldt try again, just dont get caught venting, as it's illegal.

hope this helps.

Isaac
Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 PM

Thanks Sweetie...I hope it helps too...cuz Lord knows I don't do well in the heat.