Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What are these wires and relay connector? (drivers side front near air box)

Old 04-29-2019, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default What are these wires and relay connector? (drivers side front near air box)

So I bought an 88 XJ and am fixing it up. It was running rich and needed a new valve. I'm finishing up the valve job and while waiting on parts have decided to tackle the rich issue. I've tested sensors, replaced as necessary, cleaned connectors, eliminated the c101 connector.

I have looked over a few wiring diagrams and can't seem to find what these two wires (red with white tracer and solid black) are for, also found a factory style 2 pin connector lying in the engine bay with matching wires. The wires go into the loom that is on the drivers side inner fender. The PO had said that he spliced in a sensor to put into the aftermarket intake thinking it would fix the fuel mixture issue. He gave me the sensor and upon searching the part number it shows it is an ambient air temp sensor for a 91-96 xj (4688204)

The next question is about an unknown relay in the same place. Again can't seem to find it on wiring diagrams. Same location but the loom leads forward as if it goes to the headlamp, with a red wire, two green wires with black tracers and a black wire.

Thanks!

red -wt tracer, black

Red, 2x green -blk tracer, black