Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What to look for when buying a Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What to look for when buying a Jeep

My search Kung Fu is not very strong, and I couldn't find an answer to what I'm looking for.

Its time for me to get a car. And I've decided I'd like to make it a Jeep. My budget isn't great, around 4k. But I figure these questions could apply to anyone and any purchase.

What should I be looking for when buying a Jeep? So far I have found a 98 Cherokee Sport with 168k miles and a 96 Cherokee classic with 115k miles.

What would you consider too many miles?
Are some years of the Cherokee better than others?
What sort of things will go wrong on an older Jeep?
What should I be asking the seller about maintenance records and such?
Things to look for in a good deal? A bad deal?
What kind of costs can I expect in owning a Jeep?
What about longevity? How many miles could I get out of a Jeep?

I'm sure the questions could keep going. But I feel these could get things started. I really appreciate any advice and help you give. Thank you
Old 12-15-2010, 12:04 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Hey man, I will message you some info on a great Chicagoland used Jeep dealer. If they can't help you, no one can!
Old 12-15-2010, 02:08 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by willpower
My search Kung Fu is not very strong, and I couldn't find an answer to what I'm looking for.

Its time for me to get a car. And I've decided I'd like to make it a Jeep. My budget isn't great, around 4k. But I figure these questions could apply to anyone and any purchase.

What should I be looking for when buying a Jeep? So far I have found a 98 Cherokee Sport with 168k miles and a 96 Cherokee classic with 115k miles.

What would you consider too many miles?
Are some years of the Cherokee better than others?
What sort of things will go wrong on an older Jeep?
What should I be asking the seller about maintenance records and such?
Things to look for in a good deal? A bad deal?
What kind of costs can I expect in owning a Jeep?
What about longevity? How many miles could I get out of a Jeep?

I'm sure the questions could keep going. But I feel these could get things started. I really appreciate any advice and help you give. Thank you
1. Too many miles is relative. The 4.0 engine can last forever (300k+) if well taken care of. That being said, I personally would try to find one under 150k.
2. http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissue...rticle=finesse This article gives a great rundown of all the generations and the basic pros and cons of each. If you get the newest generation try to stick to the 97-99.
3. With all cars, not just Jeeps, stay away from rust. This is more important to cherokees since they are a unibody. Rear main seal is a tough painful leak that can be common.
4. Try to get a good idea on how well maintained it has been. Ask about fluid changes or oil leaks. Also its good to buy an XJ from a single owner.
5. This all depends on what you want. I personally don't need my XJ to be dent free or to have perfect paint (this also keeps the cost down )
6. If you get a 97-01 gen cherokee you will have a better probability of getting an overall better running Jeep. If you want to breathe new life into an older one, expect to be replacing ball joints, motor mounts, bearings, sensors, bushings... etc. I find restoring a Cherokee much more fun and satisfying.
7. Again, you could drive these things to the end of the earth if you maintain it.

What I love about XJs is their practicality and simplicity. The are so easy to work on (granted they don't have rust). Definitely a great vehicle for many different purposes.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

*BELIEVABLE proof of good maintenance goes a long ways in my book.

*Check condition of a few fluids (coolant, oil, transmission). Coolant should be green, not rusty brown. Tranny fluid should be red and should not smell burnt.

*Personally, with the "infamous" 0331 cylinder head problems that plague the 00-01, I would stay away from them. 98-99 are both good years.

*Really, really give it the once over. Rust obviously needs to be scrutinized. Take it for a long test ride and try everything to make sure it all works, paying special attention to the 4WD.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Geo Fry
1. Too many miles is relative. The 4.0 engine can last forever (300k+) if well taken care of. That being said, I personally would try to find one under 150k.
2. http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissue...rticle=finesse This article gives a great rundown of all the generations and the basic pros and cons of each. If you get the newest generation try to stick to the 97-99.
3. With all cars, not just Jeeps, stay away from rust. This is more important to cherokees since they are a unibody. Rear main seal is a tough painful leak that can be common.
4. Try to get a good idea on how well maintained it has been. Ask about fluid changes or oil leaks. Also its good to buy an XJ from a single owner.
5. This all depends on what you want. I personally don't need my XJ to be dent free or to have perfect paint (this also keeps the cost down )
6. If you get a 97-01 gen cherokee you will have a better probability of getting an overall better running Jeep. If you want to breathe new life into an older one, expect to be replacing ball joints, motor mounts, bearings, sensors, bushings... etc. I find restoring a Cherokee much more fun and satisfying.
7. Again, you could drive these things to the end of the earth if you maintain it.

What I love about XJs is their practicality and simplicity. The are so easy to work on (granted they don't have rust). Definitely a great vehicle for many different purposes.
Geo pretty much broke it down well here. I would expand the search to include 95-96 vintage as well. I personally like the older styling of the interior / exterior. Parts are a dime a dozen and you have the option of swapping out some for newer versions if you so desire. If it is bone stock expect to dump some $$$ in to a Jeep in perfect condition getting some wheels and tires under them if you want to do it right. Steering components also should be inspected making sure everything is tight. If not Currie makes a great heavy duty kit that would save you time in searching bone yards for viable parts. Some of the XJ you can find really cheap, but will most likely have issues. Rust will be a non starter for most unless you want to do quite a bit of metal work. For a clean XJ locally they are selling for 5K+ assuming bone stock. Modified XJ are hard to find in good condition and if you do locate one they normally want quite a bit of coin for them. One on Autotrader was asking over 14K for his RIG.

I'm currently considering selling mine, but not quite sure as finding another clean vehicle here is proving to be very expensive. What is fun though is telling people I drive a 96 and it is much cleaner than their 2006 vehicle.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 AM

After just buying my first jeep ill add my two pennies. I got lucky and found a 94 with little. Body damage and a 99 4.0 with 65000 miles. It's true jeep motors last forever if kept up on. The great reliability of fuel injection and the ease of fixing almost anything with hand tools. Mine has a small hole in the passenger floor and one in the roof. I have built cars for a long time so welding repairs are easy for me. If your buying an auto smell the trans fluid. If it smells burnt use a white sheet of paper and while the dipstick on it. It should be redish if its brown or you can see reflective amounts of metal in it look somewhere else. Check the steering lines and oil pan for leaks. I need a new steering hose but I only paid 800 for mine so I'm ok with some repairs. If you plan to drive hard or off road check the shocks and shock mounts. Really I don't know why I didn't buy one sooner. Also save about $80 for a complete tune up. I always change fluids and ignition parts when I buy something. Hope this helps. Make sure you get under it with a flashlight and check for any rust and the rockets are a common area as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 AM

It's interesting about the auto trans. fluid being brown. The owner's manual for my 01 actually says that the trans fluid normally changes from red to brown over time and that is NOT an indication of a problem. I found that odd to read, especially coming from Jeep. I too always thought that if it was brown its time to change it.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bigA
It's interesting about the auto trans. fluid being brown. The owner's manual for my 01 actually says that the trans fluid normally changes from red to brown over time and that is NOT an indication of a problem. I found that odd to read, especially coming from Jeep. I too always thought that if it was brown its time to change it.
It does change from red to brown as it gets older. It also means that it's time to change it - immediately. Good rule of thumb - change your tranny fluid every 50k-75k depending on how hard you are on it.

As for what to look for, it's pretty much been said.
Under 150k; no/VERY little rust; maintenance records; 1-2 previous owners; worn out parts; long test drive including a 4x4 test (make sure you're off the pavement); 95-96 or 98-99 are the best years.

Last edited by no rdplz; 12-15-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:44 AM

I am also looking at buying a Jeep Cherokee after wrecking my car last week.
What's wrong with the 1997 year models? I've found one locally that seems to be a good deal and I'm doing research.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Nothing wrong with a 97, or any XJ for that matter, but 95-96 and 98-mid99 seem to be the best years. Welcome to CF BTW!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 AM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 HO Country Edt.

I have a 96 Country Edition with 206000 miles on it and just now had to do some what I call maintance on it... in the past 5 weeks I have replaced both 02 sensors, TPS, blower motor, blower relay, radiator, heater control valve, ignition switch and did a tune up!! Thing runs like NEW!!!!

This is the only thing I have done to it in almost two years!!! GOTTA LOVE THE JEEPS!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 AM

I bought my Cherokee sport 1997 with 60000 miles and it's a great vehicle . Great 2.5 petrol engine. All the antiroll bar bushes were shot but this was a cheap £25 fix.
Attached Thumbnails What to look for when buying a Jeep-image-4044962439.jpg  
Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

any Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 from 99 and before.. is a good start State away from rust... I myself prefer the 87-90 vintage but you have to remeber those are 20 years old... and the last year was made 11 years ago... look for one with good matience records... and try to get the best for your money... look at your trim levels... try and get a limited, Country or classic it has most comfort opntions and power options... you have to find out what you are looking for... What you want out of your Jeep? the Country with 115k could be a good start... also try and start with a stock Jeep

Last edited by The Rooster; 02-26-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

1996 Jeep Country 4x4
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ctd/2234555867.html
1998 sport 2wd 5spd 2 door
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/2233772521.html
1999 Jeep cherokee color Bronze 4x4
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/2233456533.html
1998 Jeep classic 4x4 blacl
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/2233096230.html
1998 Jeep Classic 4x4 red
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/ctd/2232277966.html
1994 Jeep Country silver 4x4
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2231035543.html
1997 Jeep Country white 4x4
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2230308088.html
1995 jeep 2 door lifted on 31s 5spd
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/2229080363.html
1999 Jeep limited 4x4 black
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/ctd/2227325130.html
here are some listed in your area hope this helps
Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L MPI V8 (318)
Default My jeep

Bought my jeep with one previous owner, 230k miles, floorboards that were TERRIBLE. But, frame was all good, engine was good, trans and 4WD were all working and fine. Vehicle was SEVERELY neglected, all fluids brown/full of rust, but after I flushed it all, started maintaining it, and put a bit of money into her, she runs like a champion at 240k. The I6's (Mine is High Output) can last forever like posted. Just take good care of them.

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a Jeep