Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What kind of jack do I need? 6.5" lift and 33's

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What kind of jack do I need? 6.5" lift and 33's

I see alot of lifted jeeps have these tractor jacks. Is it nessesary with the set up I have - 6.5" lift and 33" tires?

I found 2 at Harbor freight for a decent price. If any of you have any input please share. Don't be afraid to tell me that "these are junk and I should get these ones." Just make sure to tell me where to get them.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...word=farm+jack

Last edited by Andrew16v; 12-01-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: I can't spell!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Andrew16v
I see alot of lifted jeeps have these tractor jacks. Is it nessesary with the set up I have - 6.5" lift and 33" tires?

I found 2 at Harbor freight for a decent price. If any of you have any input please share. Don't be afraid to tell me that "these are junk and I should get these ones." Just make sure to tell me where to get them.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...word=farm+jack
thats the style you want , theres a company called hi-lift there not a whole lot more then harbor frieght ones but the quality is much better , im just trying to decide on the 48" or the 60" i herd from some guys the 60 is to big a pain in the but and unnessacary , but the 60" seems to make more sense to own if you ask me
Old 12-01-2009, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

never had a need for one longer than 48". i have had many lift heights and as large as 37's all with longarms and lotsa droop. either way you will need to ratchet strap your axle to the body to get a tire off. a 60" would be scary to jack the jeep all the way up (gettin sideways)

and i can lay it across the back cargo area easily

a 60" would need to be outside or have the backseat folded down
Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Ok, so my noob'ness is shining here! Duhhhh! I didn't even think about my jeep flexin' and never being able to get the tire off the ground! So I guess I really don't even need one. Probably a hydrolic piston pump would be better for flats or brake work? Just jack the axle up right with the piston jack right? So what else is the high lift jack used for? I saw the video for winching.

I'm sorry if these questions seem dumb or get asked once a month but I just bought my jeep and I'm coming from lowered V-dubs so . . .

Thanks for the help
Andrew
Old 12-01-2009, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Andrew16v
Ok, so my noob'ness is shining here! Duhhhh! I didn't even think about my jeep flexin' and never being able to get the tire off the ground! So I guess I really don't even need one. Probably a hydrolic piston pump would be better for flats or brake work? Just jack the axle up right with the piston jack right? So what else is the high lift jack used for? I saw the video for winching.

I'm sorry if these questions seem dumb or get asked once a month but I just bought my jeep and I'm coming from lowered V-dubs so . . .

Thanks for the help
Andrew
piston jacks dont always seem to work while out in the woods , they take to long to reach the height you need and most of the time they dont even reach high enough to get a wheel off the ground, you have to remember as you push up on an axel the spring is going to compress as well so by the time that happens most jacks are maxed on something with a lift , i would deff get a high lift , i been searching for the right one and im glad you posted this cause it has been on my mind the last few weeks
Old 12-01-2009, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

it all depends on whether you are on soft ground or in a mud puddle when you need it.

i have a 60 inch hi-lift and have maxed it out on the trail once the base settles in the mud.
if you don't off road it, or at least not in wet muddy conditions, then i guess the 48 inch model will work fine.

i store mine on the side of my roof rack. 5 winters and lots of rain, and it still works like the day it was new. just spray it every now and again, and once before you use it, and it will be fine.

but yeah, you either need to connect your sway bars, or ratchet strap your axle to lift the wheel.
plus there's many options available, like a tire strap for jacking up by the wheel, and shackle and strap for use as a winch.

Last edited by caged; 12-01-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Glad I could help! Thanks for helping me understand what I need to. I'm going to swing by harbor freight and pick one of those lifts out. I looked at the hi-lift brand but they're like twice the ammount plus shipping. Its going in the jeep, I don't have to worry about corrosion so I'm going with the cheaper one, hopefully it will last.

After we last talked I'm also going to get one of them pitman pullers because I looked and my trac bar didn't come with a new frame mount and I don't want to beat the hell out of mine. I'm going to try and knock out alot on my punch list today, hopefully the weather holds out on me today and tomarrow - I live in a townhome complex with no garrage . I am dying to drive this rig!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

a hi lift jack is handy offroad when you need to get a tire in the air to rock stack. and i have used it to lift my jeep and push one end over (careful doing this)

if you want a jack for general maintenance a basic floor jack is leaps and bounds better

Originally Posted by caged
it all depends on whether you are on soft ground or in a mud puddle when you need it.

i have a 60 inch hi-lift and have maxed it out on the trail once the base settles in the mud.
if you don't off road it, or at least not in wet muddy conditions, then i guess the 48 inch model will work fine.
put something solid to spread the load under jack, problem solved.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

Stay away from the habour freight farm jacks, JUNK JUNK JUNK Got one in the barn and the next time I sell scrap metal it's going in the pile before it kills someone !!!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: straight 6

Tractor supply sells hi lift jacks.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

Originally Posted by mike mike
Stay away from the habour freight farm jacks, JUNK JUNK JUNK Got one in the barn and the next time I sell scrap metal it's going in the pile before it kills someone !!!
its identical to a highlift. oh wait the end of the lever is a different shape. my dad has a highlift brand jack and i have a hf jack, they both work the same this guy is talking out his ***** and probably has never used a hf jack
Old 01-30-2011, 10:59 PM

Year: 2000

I grew up farming. If your going to get a Hi lift jack AKA ( farming jack ) Spend the money on a good one..... If your working the jack and a pin shears off or breaks the jack will lay you on your *** in a heart beat. DONT GO CHEAP WITH THIS JACK!!!!! spend the extra few bucks. Not worth a broken arm or worse. Keep a can of WD 40 with you to lube it from time to time. I will get a Hi Lift one day. Personally this is the jack I have in my jeep. Works great. Pretty stable in the dirt and sand. If anything carry a few short pieces of 2 by 4 to make up the differance on put under the jack for soft ground. http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-66725.html

Last edited by n_a_i_w; 01-30-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Buy the base for it to. Helps spread the load and makes it more stable/safer