Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What if i put 5 ground wires on this one screw...

Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 liter
Default What if i put 5 ground wires on this one screw...

So i have 5 ground wires, all on this one little screw in the glove box. All the wires are for lights. 4 offroad lights and 2 foglights. But I took my fog lights out so just the 4 offroad lights. Do those wires get super hot or what is the deal?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

nope, they won't get hot, but you may loose some ground strength.
but in all reality, if the screw is long enough, it will be fine.

but if possible, you really should find one or two more good ground screws to dissipate things.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

1. Yes, heat will be generated. The purpose of a ground wire is to "ground" the electrical current. This means resistance, which generates heat. Just how much heat depends on how much power you're running. Putting that in your glove box just doesn't seem like a good idea IMO.
2. Why are you running 4 separate grounds? Why not tie all your offroad lights into one wire/ground/switch if they're all facing forward? Even if you've got one or two facing towards the rear you could just do two main wires leading to switches and then branching them off to the separate lights. Much cleaner and way simpler to fix should something happen.

I've got all four of my top lights wired together, going down inside the passenger b column, under the door sill trim (where my ground is), up into the glove box, across the inside of the dash, and into the switch. My front 2 are grounded in the engine bay and run through the main harness firewall grommet. Both sets are powered directly from the battery and have 30amp safety fuses on them. 6 lights, 2 switches, and an extremely clean look. It works great and I've never had a problem. When it comes to electrical, simpler is better.
Attached Images    
Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by caged
nope, they won't get hot, but you may loose some ground strength.
but in all reality, if the screw is long enough, it will be fine.

but if possible, you really should find one or two more good ground screws to dissipate things.
You're right, they won't get hot, but heat will be generated. Not enough for a fire, but heat will be generated. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 liter

Originally Posted by no rdplz
1. Yes, heat will be generated. The purpose of a ground wire is to "ground" the electrical current. This means resistance, which generates heat. Just how much heat depends on how much power you're running. Putting that in your glove box just doesn't seem like a good idea IMO.
2. Why are you running 4 separate grounds? Why not tie all your offroad lights into one wire/ground/switch if they're all facing forward? Even if you've got one or two facing towards the rear you could just do two main wires leading to switches and then branching them off to the separate lights. Much cleaner and way simpler to fix should something happen.

I've got all four of my top lights wired together, going down inside the passenger b column, under the door sill trim (where my ground is), up into the glove box, across the inside of the dash, and into the switch. My front 2 are grounded in the engine bay and run through the main harness firewall grommet. Both sets are powered directly from the battery and have 30amp safety fuses on them. 6 lights, 2 switches, and an extremely clean look. It works great and I've never had a problem. When it comes to electrical, simpler is better.
Thanks for the tips. btw maroon xj's FTW!!!