Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What to Gut?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Talking What to Gut?

I've got a 91 DD and an 89 Warrior that I'm looking into building. I'm still new to jeeps and the cherokee. The unibody still bothers me, especially living in Maine near the coast with the jeep cancer everywhere (rust). Anyways, inspection laws are a bit easier on older vehicles in Maine (some things are grandfathered). I'm wondering what I can gut out (o2 sensor, vacuum lines, etc) and if anyone has done any amateur engineering with the ecu. The 89 is a renix, so it's much easier to bypass certain characteristics without making the jeep a big paper weight.

Any input is great, Ideally I want to re-engineer the whole thing. Make it my way with straight color coded brake and fuel lines that make sense along with upgraded suspension systems (that are easy on the pockets [3" with at most TC drop]), rust patches (rocker replacements with box steel, floor pans replaced with street signs), and some lockers (again easy on the pockets).

The engine is a tank as is, so I don't care to modify that unless I'm getting major horsepower (or I can manipulate via electronics [that's my thing]).

I wish I didn't have automatics (anyone done auto to stick conversions?)

Let's get this thread started. Real deal greasy knuckle busting mods to make a difference. I'm trying to make a living and still have some fun with a bad *** jeep cherokee.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Address the uni-body first.

De-grease, power wash, rustolium "rust reformer", then rubberized under- coating. You'll sleep better.