Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What does it take to get this out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default What does it take to get this out?

I'm trying to do a project on my '91 XJ, basically fixing one of the screw in ball mounts for the rear hatch strut. The top mount on the left side free spins, no matter if I tighten it or loosen it. I tried pulling it forward and loosening it, I tried banging on it, and finally I got angry and tried flat out yanking on it. What on Earth is it gonna take to get this friggin thing out?!?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I know these things all too well. My old thing with 260+k has done it all in the 13 or so years I've been at it. (it's 22)

You can remove the plastic trim, then plunge cut with an angle grinder such that you can get small needle-nose vice grips in there. There is a nut. I was then able to get it back together with washers added. A assume this weekens the structure/alters crash/role-over strength. That's a fix that can end up "clean". Also there are dirty ones that work. Don

Caution! While I was at the orthopedic surgeon's, there was I guy there who had found a way to really wreck his hand with an angle grinder.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:41 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Mine spun freely so I welded it.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

So wait, there's like a welded nut on the inside of the trim?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
So wait, there's like a welded nut on the inside of the trim?
In your case it is a formerly welded nut.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Evil Drew M
In your case it is a formerly welded nut.
Well that sucks. I guess I need to make a phone call to my friend. Honestly, I think welded nuts have got to be the dumbest idea ever. Whats the difference between a welded nut, or a regular nut with a enough access to tighten or remove it as needed??
Old 08-19-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Whats the difference between a welded nut, or a regular nut with a enough access to tighten or remove it as needed??
Strength mostly. Making access holes will weaken the structure the holes are in. In things like frame rails and pillars the more material the better.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Well, since I lack grinders and what not, I think I have decided what to do. I am modifying the existing mount to accept a bolt for a new 'manual' strut which I lock with a pin. I am going to JB Weld the spinning mount in place, make sure it is secure, and then cutt off the thin next and ball, drill, and tap. Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

The formally welded nut is inside the metal post which is under the trim. If you have it welded, make sure your guy knows how to not fry your computer.

You can drill the socket and fit a screw/nut on it. The head of that can then fit in a hole where your spinning ball is now. Because its always under pressure it will stay stuck in the hole.(a washer helps) Don. PS, it's allot of pressure, I doubt any glue will work. I take it it won't stay on the loose ball as is?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
The formally welded nut is inside the metal post which is under the trim. If you have it welded, make sure your guy knows how to not fry your computer.

You can drill the socket and fit a screw/nut on it. The head of that can then fit in a hole where your spinning ball is now. Because its always under pressure it will stay stuck in the hole.(a washer helps) Don. PS, it's allot of pressure, I doubt any glue will work. I take it it won't stay on the loose ball as is?
No, when I go to close or open the hatch, 70-80% of the time the strut flies off. And this is with 2 new sets of struts. Plus, I have had struts themselves fail on me and almost crush my head or hands. I want a manual support that I know is not going to fail.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:17 AM
CF Veteran

Those are a ***** eh? Yea, by the way I've been conked on the head 1/2 dozen times over the years when my (temporary) manual support, (stick), failed. If I have time Sat. I'll snap a pic of what I did to one about a year ago that works.
Socket drilled. Don.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:32 AM
CF Veteran

My 72 Scout 2 has metal slides that lock up, then you lift it and they free to lower it. They are probably strong enough but I don't know if their is clearance there when it's closed. You might want to look around the wreckers for something like that. At this point my gas-charged are immortal. I like that they lift all that weight for me. There is nothing they can do that I can't fix. And that's without welding so far. If I had a wire feed welder I'd try that. Might be a little small/thin for arc. Gas would be a seine of burning wire insulation and paint....(rubber),I think, maybe not.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
My 72 Scout 2 has metal slides that lock up, then you lift it and they free to lower it. They are probably strong enough but I don't know if their is clearance there when it's closed. You might want to look around the wreckers for something like that. At this point my gas-charged are immortal. I like that they lift all that weight for me. There is nothing they can do that I can't fix. And that's without welding so far. If I had a wire feed welder I'd try that. Might be a little small/thin for arc. Gas would be a seine of burning wire insulation and paint....(rubber),I think, maybe not.
I like the metal slide concept. If you could, I would really appreciate any pics of both what you did and those metal slides. Also, thanks again for the help and advice. I'm hoping to get this job tackled today, considering I get my to-do list done first.... maybe I can just change the priority of a few chores and do them tomorrow.. lol
Old 08-20-2011, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Beautiful Eh? I'm so proud! Seriously though. The "slotted" on on the right could have been done "neat", so you'd never know. (unless you rooled it just right and the frame crumpled there!)

The left could maybe be a little neater Guess the hole in the trim could be about to size if a quarter. ITS A WORK TRUCK GUYS everything works fine, just no beauty contests.

The scout is 300 Mi. away at the moment. Really, it might not cost that much to have yours welded, especially if you pull the trim and clean to bare metal as best you can. Don.
Attached Thumbnails What does it take to get this out?-100_9925.jpg   What does it take to get this out?-100_9927.jpg   What does it take to get this out?-100_9924.jpg