Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What does this plug go to?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default What does this plug go to?

Just got a 96 Cherokee 4d
I just re painted my sound bar and installed new speakers. The previous owner had done a real shoty job with the stereo and such.
When i removed the sound bar i found two conector plugs. The small one i know goes to the dome light. What is the larger one for? pic included:

Also does the cherokee come stock with two sound bars or one? I ask because in the pile of stuff i got with the jeep i received two dome lights , i can see were the rear one would mount but were is the plug? were does it feed from to the rear light? Does it have a switch to make it turn on when the hatch is open?
Looks like there would be a second sound bar back there?
Mine came with one and no headliner so i'm just wondering what stock looks like.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: l6

where is the picture looking?? is that the back door pillar? it could be a plug for the ceiling consol if it used to have one? for the compass/temp gauge.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:30 PM

That Pic is the pillar right above the driver seat. What years come with an overhead console?
The rear has a pillar as well but no plugs. How do i get the dome in the rear plugged in?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by courtney42
That Pic is the pillar right above the driver seat. What years come with an overhead console?
The rear has a pillar as well but no plugs. How do i get the dome in the rear plugged in?
Not sure what years come with the console. But I'd imagine that's what its to. And maybe pull some of the rear panels off and see if there is a connector for the rear dome.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:46 AM

All my rear panels are already off. Wondering were i need to start looking cause it must be tucked away somewhere.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8

Im trying to put overhead consoles in both my jeeps. Does anyone know if it is typical for the connector to be there (91&93) before I start tearing my headliners out?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by TrollHammer
Im trying to put overhead consoles in both my jeeps. Does anyone know if it is typical for the connector to be there (91&93) before I start tearing my headliners out?
Ahhh! I'm an idiot! The plug is to the keyless entry chip. I tookine down today and it hit me that that's what it was. Sorry for the wait.

This is the chip it plugs into. Behind the dome light
What does this plug go to?-forumrunner_20111129_130437.jpg

This is the plug. Just like yours
What does this plug go to?-forumrunner_20111129_130504.jpg
Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Seasoned Member

I was going to mention that. I went ahead and pulled my headliner and checked things out. Here is what I found:

Stock connector /only cable is the three pin version, with two wires (both of my jeeps had this, so Im assuming neither has the console cable.

In the rear, there is a three pin/three wire pigtail for the rear light. I plugged a light in back there but it only comes on when the doors open, but nothing when I click the button on the light.

If you have a cable pigtail like I cut out of the doner (not realizing I could have spent 15 more minutes and pulled the whole cable free intact), the colors match up: black is frame ground, fasten to the console mount, pinkish (redish) is +12 on full time, and yellow is switched ground (from the door switches). I just shoved the wires into the stock connector and my lights now work, though Im afraid of having all four on at the same time. Each bulb is 1ampm and that wire looks thin (the proper harness has three +12s, one of them quite a bit heavier).

So now Im off to find more cables, and another rear light. What I would recommend to anyone trying to add an overhead console is to grab the console, the power cable all the way down to below the glove box (no cutting!), the two metal brackets for mounting the console, and the headliner, or at least trace a template from it. Once I have all mine done and pics Ill post a writeup.

What I dont know is where that IR keyless entry cable plugs in. It appears from your pics that it goes down the driver's door pillar, while the power and screen control goes down the passenger A pillar. What module/ junction does it plug into on the vehicle side? Seems like it would be like everhthing else, plug and play, unless its a feature thst only works with power locks.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Just noticed, your mounts and IR location look different than mine. Connectors are the same. Got a pic of the console to see if it is different than the earlier 90s?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 PM

Just noticed, your mounts and IR location look different than mine. Connectors are the same. Got a pic of the console to see if it is different than the earlier 90s?
I don't have a console. Mine is a 2000 with just a dome light. My 89 has just a dome light too. Your right inbetween my years.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:27 PM

In the rear, there is a three pin/three wire pigtail for the rear light. I plugged a light in back there but it only comes on when the doors open, but nothing when I click the button on the light.
Where is this wire on yours? Where is it coming from?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by courtney42
Where is this wire on yours? Where is it coming from?
Right in middle, taped to the wiring harness for the hatch that runs from one side to the other. Ill try to take a pic in a few minutes, but it will be bad, the sun went down.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Right in middle, taped to the wiring harness for the hatch that runs from one side to the other. Ill try to take a pic in a few minutes, but it will be bad, the sun went down.
Sorry to do this funky, but my phone is acting up and wont let me add an image to the last post. Like I said, not the best image.

I havent found where a door switch would connect in yet, but havent looked that hard either. Going to try to find where the pigtail is for the trailer connector, and might find it then. It should be a single black wire, if it is like the front doors. Extra door switches can be added to the back doors by just plugging them in, so I imagine it would be the same here.

I should add: something is messed up with this jeep and I havent figured it out yet: the headlight switch wont turn on interior lights when twisted, but the door switches work. Dont k.ow if this affects why the pushbutton doesnt work on my rear light or not.

A standard front dome light will work as well, but will have no option of turning on witbout the doors open or headlight switch activated.

By the way, the white tape at the base of the wire was what held the connector bundled up behind the headliner. It seems to be paper tape, and broke away easily without unwrapping.
Attached Images  

Last edited by TrollHammer; 11-30-2011 at 09:46 PM.