Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What do you guys think about this, no oil pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation What do you guys think about this, no oil pressure...

So my gf and I were on our way back from a road trip when we were pulling off the freeway I decided to check out the gas (she was driving), and noticed there was NO OIL PRESSURE!!!! (she did not notice when it happened) So I had her drive it home (we were really close) and looked at the oil pressure sending unit and oil was leakin out like a ****, I had Firstone change the oil about 1000 miles ago and what I think happened is that they knocked it lose and it just got to the point when it started leaking bad. Anyways I called them and they had it towed to their shop and are looking at it now and I will hear back tomorrow, What should I expect to get out of this? I am a vet and a full time student so I am not some junkie looking for free stuff, but I feel like even if they fix the leak and top it off that the engine could blow at any time.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:41 PM

bump?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Are u asking what would we do?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:03 PM

What should I expect out of the shop? they messed up the oil pressure sensor causing the leak, making my engine run dry would it be wrong to expect a new motor?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by xjbaldy
What should I expect out of the shop? they messed up the oil pressure sensor causing the leak, making my engine run dry would it be wrong to expect a new motor?

unfortuantely there is noway to prove that they "knocked" it out im sure they will most likely say it was user error and you knocked it out some how its a classic case of "he said, she said" you can try and see what they say or will do but i wouldnt hold your breath....as far as motor damage how long did it run without oil? i think you will be fine if you have the 4.0 there tough motors and hard to kill my idiot friend has run his motor dry on oil several times and she runs strong... just my 2 cents best of luck

-Tom
Old 12-19-2011, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by liftedcherokee
unfortuantely there is noway to prove that they "knocked" it out im sure they will most likely say it was user error and you knocked it out some how its a classic case of "he said, she said" you can try and see what they say or will do but i wouldnt hold your breath....as far as motor damage how long did it run without oil? i think you will be fine if you have the 4.0 there tough motors and hard to kill my idiot friend has run his motor dry on oil several times and she runs strong... just my 2 cents best of luck

-Tom

I dunno how long we were driving without oil (at the most about 100 miles...) my gf was driving and I did not see the oil pressure was gone until I leaned over to check how we were looking on our gas level. We were coming back from about 4 hours from our place and she started driving half way and I saw it like 2 min from our place. I am just worried that even if the shop fixes the leak and tops up the oil that the motor would blow soon.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 AM

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and give my 2cents, I THINK that if the sending unit were knock and it was leaking badly from the sending unit that the oil pressure would read wrong before there was actually no oil since the pressure the unit should have been reading was forcing oil out fallowing the path of least resistance like electricity
Old 12-20-2011, 04:49 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

How much oil was showing on the dipstick when you stopped? That's the million dollar question.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by cruiser54
How much oil was showing on the dipstick when you stopped? That's the million dollar question.
Yep ^^

Mine also has this problem where if I run her real hard on the high way. When I get off my psi drops form 40 to 20. :/
Old 12-20-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kuro89
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and give my 2cents, I THINK that if the sending unit were knock and it was leaking badly from the sending unit that the oil pressure would read wrong before there was actually no oil since the pressure the unit should have been reading was forcing oil out fallowing the path of least resistance like electricity

Didnt even think of that when my 90 cherokee had a leaky sensor it read 10psi at idle and 30 on the highway, with a new one it read 40idle 60 highway....so maybe your not as low on oil pressure as you thought,could be the sensor screweing with ya since its leaky
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

It's a 4.0. You could probably **** in the crankcase, and she'd still go.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT lol. But as mentioned above, if the oil was leaking out, then any oil reading would be false because you did not have the full pressure of the oil pushing against the sending unit. As for that crack pot place you had your oil changed at, screw them. I cannot stress this enough:

Change your own oil! It is not hard. Get a $10 drain pan, and Im sure you have a small socket somewhere, and you're set. It's so easy to do, I can't understand why anyone would take it somewhere that will usually 5 outta 10 times screw something up. Do it yourself, and do it right the first time.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

1000 miles is a very long time since your visit. You're not going to get anything from then I wouldn't think. Nor should you really expect to. Stuff happens, and 1000 miles is way too long after they touched your truck.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Ive hit the oil pressure sensor once or twice while changing oil, old sensor will leak like this and shows no pressure. just change the sensor, fill the oil up and keep driving, this is a common problem.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 AM

Year: 99
Engine: 4L/6

Put a new sending unit on. Next question.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54

There was no oil...

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about this, no oil pressure...