Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What to do with this rig?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What to do with this rig?

I traded some junk that was collecting dust in my barn for this 87 cherokee.It has a 4.0/5spd.The 4x4 seems to work fine accept the axles seem to be locked up constantly.The motor will crank and run fine.There are no rattles only a little white smoke when it is first cranked.The PO said that when you drive it the temp will never stop.It will run great right up to 210 and keep on going.I have not driven it on the road yet,just a few trips around the subdivision.I parked it in my back yard (in pic) and I could see water running down what looks like the back of the motor.I have not even began to chase the problem yet,but wanted to check the vast knowledge base here to see if there was an easy fix.My wife is really excited to have another trail rig so I will be keeping this one and building it.If this motor is busted I will be replacing it with something else.I have a mexcian block 302 that I bought for my 62 Falcon and have since rebuilt the 6 and put it back in.Anyone tried to put a sbf into the cherokee or should I just get another 4.0 and stick it in?Thanks in advance for your info.Eddy
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

that depends on how fast your wife says to get it done lol the 4.0 would be a weekend swap the sbf would require adaptors the make them for sbc i know sbf dont now when mine retires that the way im going
Old 10-13-2010, 05:09 AM

There is no time table for getting it running.I have the Falcon that we get out and cruise in.My kids are 3 and 8 and ready to try wheelin for the first time.Are 33s with the stock axles locked gonna be enough for mild wheelin with the family?That is about all I am gonig to be able to aford for the time being.Thanks for the info in advance.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:48 AM
CF Veteran

your going to have to put at least 6inch lift to clear 33s
Old 10-13-2010, 05:54 AM
CF Veteran

y
Old 10-13-2010, 05:59 AM
CF Veteran

http://advanceadapters.com/index.php...=6http://these people can help with adapters
Old 10-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I would build yourself a budget stroker if you are going to rebuild a 4.0... but if nothing else at least just drop in another 4.0... that's just me... as far as running 33's... you can clear them with a 4.5" lift if you want to keep the CG down a little bit... you will just have to trim the fenders some, and may depending on the backspacing and the width of the 33's... have some rubbing at full lock... and I would try and scour some JY's to see if you can find a XJ with a D44 or 8.25 in it so you can replace the D35 that is probably in the rear of yours.. when you say the axles seem to be locked... are you meaning both from and rear seem to be locked??
Old 10-13-2010, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

That coolant leak is probably a freeze plug at back of engine.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

stroke the 4.0, get a 4.5 long arm kit, upgrade axles to D44's with cromo shafts, go to 4.56 or 4.88 gears. go with some ox lockers or if you wanna run with air instead of cables ARB lockers. Cage it. do the quick door removal fab. it will be an unstoppable trail rig and a nice comfy street ride.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

looks like a clean truck.

And +1 on the freeze plug. My fiance's 4.0 had a similar issue, and it was a freeze plug.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:42 PM

Cutting the fenders is not a problem and this is not my DD.If I can repair it with just a freeze plug then in no way will I swap motors.I want to run some 33/10.50s on 8 inch wheels.Probably some soft 8s.Maybe some 285/75/16 which seem to easy to get(got some on my Z71).A friend has a 9 inch out of a Ford granada that he was going to run in his S10 drag truck.I was thinking about getting it.I dont know how wide it is ,but I know it is not as wide as a full size.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 PM

Sorry for the double ,but is the freeze plug on the head or the block on the back of the motor agianst the firewall?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by bluedragon436
I would build yourself a budget stroker if you are going to rebuild a 4.0... but if nothing else at least just drop in another 4.0... that's just me... as far as running 33's... you can clear them with a 4.5" lift if you want to keep the CG down a little bit... you will just have to trim the fenders some, and may depending on the backspacing and the width of the 33's... have some rubbing at full lock... and I would try and scour some JY's to see if you can find a XJ with a D44 or 8.25 in it so you can replace the D35 that is probably in the rear of yours.. when you say the axles seem to be locked... are you meaning both from and rear seem to be locked??

By locked I mean fully locked with a spool in the front and back.I had an arb in my old K5 mudder years ago and this is the feeling I get when it is driven on pavement.The whole hopping while turning thing.I know something is not right,but have never delt with the Jeep running gear before.Thanks agian.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by DirtyEd
Sorry for the double ,but is the freeze plug on the head or the block on the back of the motor agianst the firewall?
I'll check tomorrow for ya..
Old 10-14-2010, 06:25 PM

I finally had a little time to spend on the XJ today before heading in for another 12 nightshift.I put enough gas in it to run for a good while.The first thing I noticed was the transfer case jumping out of 2wd when I would change gears,The second was there are no gauges lights power windows,locks or anything working on the inside.The third was the front end popping and hopping while turning sharp in either direction.The water is definatlly coming from the back of the head or block.I cannot see anything looking from the top.I will hopefully get it in the shop on jack stands soon and start trying to get it road worthy.Any tips or tricks of the trade will be appreciated.Eddy

Quick Reply: What to do with this rig?