Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.
Default What do i need?

ok, my plans a re...well actually everchanging lol, but for now there to get a 3" inch OME lift. now my question is, what all do i need? my dad always told me if your gonna do something, do it right...so i want to make sure that i get everything that i need so theres no complications later down the road...so what all do i need?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:16 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
ok, my plans a re...well actually everchanging lol, but for now there to get a 3" inch OME lift. now my question is, what all do i need? my dad always told me if your gonna do something, do it right...so i want to make sure that i get everything that i need so theres no complications later down the road...so what all do i need?
You will need a longer rear brake line (AutoZone) and possibly a Transfer case drop depending on your jeep. If you get a complete kit it should come with shocks, AAL's, U bolts, coils and all the hardware you will need. Just check the kit and see what it comes with. Start spraying ALL the nuts and bolts with PB Buster a week in advance and be careful with the rear shocks cause the studs break easy...Tj
P.S. Post on your progress and if you need help with a question.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
First consider the fact that you are working with a 13 year old rig. The FIRST things you need to do to reduce chance of complications, is Preventitive maintenance. Most common problem encountered with lifting a Jeep is called "Death Wobble". IMO a proper lift of any kind means that ALL suspension and steering components will be either NEW or in perfect working condition, prior to instllation. Plan to replace or repair any Steering and suspension parts that are not included with the kit. So if say your kit does NOT include New control arms, you should replace the bushings in the stock arms. Plan to replace the TRE's and Ball Joints. Plan for driveline vibrations, you might be able to fix with a TC drop, but may require a SYE and drive shaft, all XJ' vary here.