Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What do I do?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What do I do?

My front tires are towed outward. Is there something I can do to fix this or do I need to take it to an alignment shop? The only thing I can think of is that the tie rod is forcing the tires outward. If this is the case then explain this, this tie rod and steering set up has always been on here and has never been adjusted!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Jeeps are one of the easiest vehicles to do a backyard (DIY) alignment, but for the best results, you're better off taking it to a shop. I would check to make sure all of your TR ends are good... in fact, that's a check you should do every time you change your oil.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I think it just toe in - out,
Heres a write up.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
I think it just toe in - out,
Heres a write up.
Thanks Turbo X_J.

So I noticed what I needed to do with my toe in and out and will work on it tomorrow maybe. I drove it for the first time in awhile and found that its making a rubbing type sound coming from the right front (this is where my accident occurred). Its not a tire rub and the wheel isnt rubbing on anything either. I jacked it up and found the wheel moves freely on both sides. My guess is that maybe the unit bearing or u joint are bad as it seems like something in that general area.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Fix the bad parts, then take it to the alignment shop. Wrong toe will eat up tires even though it drives OK.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

X2
Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 PM

I am not sure which the bad parts are. The unit bearing and axle seemed fine as well as the u-joints on the passengers side axle.
As far as driving it, I wont until the sound I am talking about goes away. I will fix the toe but this is not my daily driver, its mostly a grocery getter and then trail and rock rig.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:12 PM

I will recheck everything. In disassembling the axle, I checked for breaks or bends in the metal pieces and didnt see any. Although the dust shield was bent from other things, I was able to bend it back to shape. Like I said before, I jacked up the front end and moved the tires/wheels with my hands so I could listen for any noises and there weren't any.
I did noticed a rubbing on the axle ears on both sides. It may not be rubbing and might be a scrape from installation. The only problem I have with the scrapes is that I dont know what they could be rubbing/scraping on. Today, I will clean up the scrapes and drive it again.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:12 AM

A friend of mine suggested that maybe I bent the axle housing and thats the sound I am hearing. Its recurring and I dont know if it starts from 0mph to whatever speed I am going to go to. Since its not my daily driver, I dont check it each day, plus I need time for trial and error.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What kinda accident did you have?
Old 05-11-2014, 12:58 PM

I was forced into a curb during a rain storm at about 25 mph. Hitting the curb forced my front axle about 3" to the drivers side, which in turn causing all the problems I have been having.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, a DIY alignment is better than a shop for a modded XJ.. Scroll down to the alignment write-up, for a COMPLETE diy alignment. http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/index.htm Toe, caster and comment on camber.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by xjallseasons
My front tires are towed outward. Is there something I can do to fix this or do I need to take it to an alignment shop? The only thing I can think of is that the tie rod is forcing the tires outward. If this is the case then explain this, this tie rod and steering set up has always been on here and has never been adjusted!
A friend of mine suggested that maybe I bent the axle housing and thats the sound I am hearing. Its recurring and I dont know if it starts from 0mph to whatever speed I am going to go to. Since its not my daily driver, I dont check it each day, plus I need time for trial and error.
I was forced into a curb during a rain storm at about 25 mph. Hitting the curb forced my front axle about 3" to the drivers side, which in turn causing all the problems I have been having.
That changes everything, I don't think you can just "adjust" that damage out of there. If the entire axle is shoved over 3" at a minimum the UCA & LCA are tweeked. Really hard to "bend" (collapse) an axle tube sideways.