Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

what to check if gas is not getting to engine...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default what to check if gas is not getting to engine...

1996 Jeep 4x4 6 4.0 HO automatic

heres the story.. drove jeep ran fine, was low on gas but thats it, when i went to leave from were i was it wouldnt start. we pulled the fule filter off, which is about 4 months old, turned the key and no fule would come through the line. we tried hooking up an electric fule pump to the line to see if it could suck fule through with no luck.
i didnt know if maybe there was a fule shutoff switch somewere that might of gotten switched off, i know in my buddies truck if you kick the passanger side floor just right it will switch it off.. am just looking for cheap things to check first before i go ripping off the whole gas tank ect.. this is my first time messing with the fule system so just looking for some ideas/guidance.

Thanks,
Will
Old 11-19-2010, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

it sounds like the fuel pump took dump...if you ran it real real low.. and pump was weak to start with... when there is not gas in tank it gets hot..and kills it..if you can not hear it running when cranking then... its pump... or guess it could be alot of other things.. relay..CPS... ecm...
so you have to start dignosing what you have and dont have... like is power goint to fuel pump... is it grounded good...if no... then you have something eles going on.. if you do have power and good ground and no fuel then pump...
Old 11-19-2010, 02:29 PM

ya i cant hear it running when i turn on the key, i even laid under the tank and listend i figured it would be the pump just hoping it wasnt gonna cost me that much to fix it Ill still check out relay ect.. thanks for imput
Old 11-19-2010, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The hose for the fuel pick up in the tank may have come loose. I can happen with time or in my case the previous owner did not tighten the clamp properly when replacing the pump assembly. They thought there was something else wrong and sold it to me cheap. I spent a little time starting at the fuel rail and traced my way back to the tank until I found the problem. A few turns of a screwdriver to reattach the hose and she runs fine.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

alway check for power before any work
Old 11-19-2010, 09:51 PM

k, can i test the electronic parts like the relay ect with an ome meter? obviously i can check if power is running but i mean to see if there in spec or what ever.. like i said this is my first time with the fule system
Old 11-20-2010, 12:00 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

if you need a new fuel pump use thefind,com i got one for 40$ on there and it came with more then i was expecting. good luck.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 PM

update:

ended up being the fule pump when i fixed it ran awsome was doing burnouts on the test drive the ground wire to my pump was fried, the wire was all eroded we cut the bad part off and put a new end on the wire and got a new pump from autozone.

I was thinking this was going to be a horrible job to fix, turned out to be the easiest job ive ever done on a vehicle, its almost as easy as changing the oil at least on a 96 jeep. filter comes out the middle front of the gas tank, just knock the filter cap loose and carefully pull it out. If the wire would not have been bad i could of had this job done in about 10 min. Just glad that fixed it. on to the next problem now