Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

is this what is the area around my driveplate/flexplate supposed to look like?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default is this what is the area around my driveplate/flexplate supposed to look like?

Hey guys. Trying to work out some issues with my 98 Cherokee. I put in a new crankshaft position sensor and it is running fine except for a new ticking noise which is presumably the end of the sensor touching something. I'm trying to figure out why the sensor end would be touching anything.

We went and looked at the end of the bell housing, and there is no inspection cover there. The plate to the left in the picture also seems strange, as it doesn't appear lined up to bolt onto anything and the hole isn't threaded or anything.

Besides the missing inspection cover, does this look right? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/6pNkNhW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/E64TvAH.jpg
Old 10-24-2014, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mediccody
Hey guys. Trying to work out some issues with my 98 Cherokee. I put in a new crankshaft position sensor and it is running fine except for a new ticking noise which is presumably the end of the sensor touching something. I'm trying to figure out why the sensor end would be touching anything.

We went and looked at the end of the bell housing, and there is no inspection cover there. The plate to the left in the picture also seems strange, as it doesn't appear lined up to bolt onto anything and the hole isn't threaded or anything.

Besides the missing inspection cover, does this look right? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/6pNkNhW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/E64TvAH.jpg
How did the CPS you removed look like? Did it look like it was rubbing on something?

If it's running fine the ticking noise is probably coming from loose flexplate bolts, or a cracked flexplate.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:41 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

The old CKPS was definitely worn out, but I think that I have since remedied the cause of that issue, which was loose transmission bolts. The ticking noise has stopped almost completely after driving about 15 miles, so I'm hoping that the sensor has worn out as much as it will and that the loose tranny was allowing the end of the sensor to contact.

I'll check the flexplate bolts though just to be sure. Thanks for the response!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:28 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Noting that your post is a few days old and it sounds like you might have your issue in check, this is a "for what it's worth" pic of the area on mine (99 automatic). I had been worried by the "hole" to the upper right of that large bolt, but it turned out that it was just the way the inspection cover is designed.
Attached Images