Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wet front passenger floorboard fix...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Wet front passenger floorboard fix...

Hey all,

After having my windshield re-sealed due to it pretty much flopping out, I was still having some issues with the front passenger floorboard being wet. Soooo..after liberal usage of a garden hose and a broken back later I found my second leak....

The seal between the blower motor housing and the firewall was a tad degraded and allowing just a little seepage.

My fix was a good coat of black RTV silicone around the gap between the plastic housing and the firewall at the blower motor under the hood...

I'll include pix soon...

My rig has seen several heavy downpours and car washes since and has stayed bone dry since.

One tip when you're doing this I to coat the bottom half of the circular opening as from the 3 o-clock position to the 9 o-clock position...also, be very sure not to get the silicone too thick in the area at the bottom where the firewall is bent down to allow water to drip out of the area (you'll see what I mean when u look at the assembly).

Just wanted to put this out there...as I know how nerve racking it can be to be "googling" common water leak causes on these vehicles and finding that it's not the case with your stuff.

Hope this helps someone else out!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

thank you this might help...ive had a similar problem... im going to check that out today when home and see if that my problem... Thanks again
Old 04-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

I'll have to give this a look-see on my rig. Although the vast majority of my leakage is from my poorly adjusted door hinges (post doorless mod, lol) and my windshield leaks exactly on the front passengers knees, lol. Leaky Jeeps...