Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

were to get replacement rear frame rails

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default were to get replacement rear frame rails

I was wondering were the best place to get replacement frame rails.. I was looking around on the internet and couldn't find any place to get them. I need them because a van rear ended me and tipped the bolt on hitch down pulling the right side bolt threw the rail and the front on both sides crunched .. I want to fix them with new frame rails but if i cant find them i am going to cut up a chunk of square tubing to fix the damaged parts but i am hoping i dont have to do that as it looks like it will be very involved..

any advise on how to fix this would be great..
Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I don't think anybody makes replacement sections, plating it might be easier. Or you could cut the section out of one in a junkyard
Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

What did the body shop say? If you were the one who got rear-ended, the other person's insurance should pay to get it fixed.

EDIT: For some actual useful information... From my experience in rebuilding old VWs. After market body parts DO NOT FIT WELL. You best bet for a good fit is to find the least rusty XJ in the junkyard and go to town with a sawzall

Last edited by cookrw; 03-11-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche

You Jeeps a unibody. You know that right...? Just throwing this out there..if your frame is bent then you just took a massive dump and ran out of TP... I'm pretty sure you are close to being screwed if they're bent. I'm sorry to say so. :/

Last edited by Zack92MJ; 03-12-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: l6 242

sad sad day, but you may have to collect insurance money on this one and start over.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by LeRoy90laredo
sad sad day, but you may have to collect insurance money on this one and start over.
And buy it back. Part it out or keep it for parts.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by LeRoy90laredo
x2
Dont know what year you have but even if its in mint condition its at least 11 yrs old so with bent unibody rails the insurance co is gonna total it. I would almost be willing to bet the cost to fix it that they will total it.
Sorry!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

Post some pics, because it's hard to gauge how bad the damage is.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:54 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0l
Default Same problem here

Please tell me what you ended up doing to your frame. I recently purchased the my jeep and it has the exact same problem. I have relatively little resources to fix the frame without taking it to a body shop.

If it is too expensive then i'll probably end up leaving it. I am also afraid if i take the bent hitch off of the rig then it will compromise the stability of my frame.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Only way a body shop will fix that is to use heat and a frame machine. After I personally would add stiffeners since its already been bent and messed with or else next accident the damage will be worse.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

My 92 got hit the same way. Luckily they had insurance and they paid a decent amount for it. They let me pull all my parts off it before the flatbed came though . Unfortunately it was a total loss. The hitch did the same exact thing. you could see lumps in the cargo area from the rails in the unibody being bent. Also, you may not be able to tell but there may be alot more going on the naked eye cant see. Like how the door gaps may be slightly different. When the adjuster came out they measured all the body gaps and said everything was off. But i couldnt tell at all. Were you able to get insurance information? Try going for a payout.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 PM

well it looks like i will have to cut out the two parts that were crunched by the front of the hitch and put in some channel steel that covers 3 inches on both sides of what i cut out.. then in the back.. i am going to cut the part that was pulled out and replace it with flat steel then see how is comes out.. if it isn't strong enough i will weld my hitch to a piece of channel iron and bolt that to the frame to stiffen it all up but that seems like it would be more than needed My girl friends father runs a body shop and said that that seems like the best way to do this if we cant get the frame rails..
Old 03-19-2012, 01:46 PM

Year: 2000.1999,1996

Originally Posted by cookrw
What did the body shop say? If you were the one who got rear-ended, the other person's insurance should pay to get it fixed.

EDIT: For some actual useful information... From my experience in rebuilding old VWs. After market body parts DO NOT FIT WELL. You best bet for a good fit is to find the least rusty XJ in the junkyard and go to town with a sawzall
You can't just cut unit-body parts off one , and add them to another.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:51 PM

Year: 2000.1999,1996

Originally Posted by barrythecableman
well it looks like i will have to cut out the two parts that were crunched by the front of the hitch and put in some channel steel that covers 3 inches on both sides of what i cut out.. then in the back.. i am going to cut the part that was pulled out and replace it with flat steel then see how is comes out.. if it isn't strong enough i will weld my hitch to a piece of channel iron and bolt that to the frame to stiffen it all up but that seems like it would be more than needed My girl friends father runs a body shop and said that that seems like the best way to do this if we cant get the frame rails..
The only thing made for the unit-body are the stiffeners which may help you out alot better than adding piece's of steel , you should be able to go right over the top of the damaged area without cutting by trying to flatten it back out or just do the very minimal of cutting.Name:  icon_welder.gif
Views: 5285
Size:  16.6 KB

Name:  grind.gif
Views: 5193
Size:  2.4 KB Also a 3 inch overlap isn't strong enough at all atleast double that but I would get the UNIT BODY STIFFENERS.

Last edited by 413maxwedge; 03-19-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 413maxwedge
You can't just cut unit-body parts off one , and add them to another.
Yes you can, it just takes time, care, and ability

Quick Reply: were to get replacement rear frame rails