Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Well here goes nothing

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Default Well here goes nothing

Alright I'm big on the euro forums and know how the forums work, searches and such but I'm brand new here and to the 4x4 world.
I bought a 96 Cherokee 4.0L this past summer for a winter vehicle, it has about 285k and still has plenty of pep and running strong. In the past week she has had a weird problem with idling while in drive like coming to a stop light the idle will drop to where the engine just about dies and then comes up to idle around 125rpm dipping down extremely low like it is miss firing but I have no CEL. When in park it will idle normal for 5 minutes and then drop to around 250rpm and sound like its missing. Also I die if I'm turning into a parking space or around a corner and not giving it enough gas. With all of that being said what I've done to fix this problem is... New spark plugs, new injectors, new fuel filter (old one was clogged so bad!) I'm thinking about MAP sensor next or maybe doing even a compression test for leaky seals.
I'm just asking for imput from you guys and what to look for while doing this because I know nothing about the straight 6 4.0

Here is a pic for $800 and 285k she only has a the little rust on the drivers rocker and interior is good I'm happy
Name:  tn-6.jpeg
Views: 30
Size:  39.2 KB
The Cars
Name:  100_0949.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  123.7 KB
Name:  DSCN0571.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  95.0 KB
Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice collection. All in black I see (or is the XJ green? I have a bit of colorblindness. Anyway- still nice in any color...)

I'd start by pulling the IAC (idle air control) valve out of the throttle body, cleaning it and reinstalling. Might just be sticking a bit.
TPS (throttle position sensor) might also be suspect. There is a procedure to test it with a DVM floating around here.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Throttle position sensor is where i would start, could be an O2 sensor as well. The 4.0 is the best engine XJ's came with, despite their constant ticks and knocks(So don't worry if it has a faint knock).

Anyways, Welcome to Hell (AKA Jeep owners club) and CF! And nice Audi's!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Nice collection. All in black I see (or is the XJ green? I have a bit of colorblindness. Anyway- still nice in any color...)

I'd start by pulling the IAC (idle air control) valve out of the throttle body, cleaning it and reinstalling. Might just be sticking a bit.
TPS (throttle position sensor) might also be suspect. There is a procedure to test it with a DVM floating around here.
Yes the XJ is green and I will defiantly look into those, I'm sure there is a DIY on everything so I will search!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1976Mustang
Throttle position sensor is where i would start, could be an O2 sensor as well. The 4.0 is the best engine XJ's came with, despite their constant ticks and knocks(So don't worry if it has a faint knock).

Anyways, Welcome to Hell (AKA Jeep owners club) and CF! And nice Audi's!
well thats x2 on the TPS

Haha how come every forum welcomes the new members to hell (audizine is the same way)
Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.slow

welcome. nice VW